Chapter 20: 6th floor

The moment the golden light appeared, it seemed that corrupt existence was consumed.

Followed by the shudder of deep fear, a terrifying hatred and anger imbued with corruption moved toward that purifying light that seemed to encompass everything.

An infinite hatred that could consume everything in its path!

*

A swing.

The greatsword swung down, and with the bloody silver blade covered in golden rays that buzzed and illuminated the dark cave, the sound of flesh being cut was heard.

With a sound that resounded sonorously, the monster fell to the ground with its head rolling.

I turned around to find myself face to face with my other impatient enemies.

Although they only looked like a silhouette, the monsters were a shadow in reality.

They were about 160 centimeters tall, and the body structure they possessed resembled that of a human; however, the difference was that from head to toe, they were painted black; heads included the shape of a cross, and their face resembled that of a round mirror embedded in them.

They looked like the personification of a shadow.

Hence came the name of the monster that appeared on the sixth floor; "War Shadow."

More than ten of these monsters were in front of me.

Letting out a long sigh, I tightened my grip on the sword's hilt again, the blade tinged with a bloody red and thick liquid dripping to the ground.

The War Shadows, causing no disturbance, as if they were natural killers, approached, cornering me.

With the sharp claws that decorated the War Shadows' hands, they launched slashes into space; their attacks were aimed directly at my body's weak points.

The speed the War Shadow possessed was far superior to that of the goblins and kobolds I had encountered so far, so the gap that had previously separated us was closed in the blink of an eye.

I leaned my body to one side, letting the three fingers that formed a sharp blade produce a hissing sound as it passed close to my ears. I swung my sword upward with a slight tilt.

"¡¿...?!"

Since the War Shadow was a monster that had no vocal cords, it couldn't utter any sound of pain as the two long arms were cut off.

As the other monsters approached, I thrust my sword downwards and slashed the War Shadow's body diagonally without using a useless move.

Augmenting the previous momentum with a total spin on my heels, the sword in my hands danced at an incredible angle, and two monstrous heads close to me rolled through the air spectacularly.

I felt a disturbance in the wind at my back, so, without turning to check, I leaped skyward and, doing backward acrobatics, landed on my enemy's back.

With the role reversed, I slashed the monster's body up and down with my sword; its body split into two halves.

*Pooh!

As the magic stone was cut, the War Shadow's body naturally exploded into specks of dust.

"Oops. My bad."

The sharp, curved claw was already approaching my eyes at a terrifying speed.

*Clank!

I brought my sword in front of it, causing the two blows to clash, producing a thunderous echo that echoed throughout the rocky hallway.

I backed up a few steps, as did the monster, and during that time, the other attacks closed in from outside my vision.

From the left, from the right, and from behind. I was cornered.

I forced myself to keep my balance and slightly lean with my body, saving myself from a cut on my pajamas.

"Get out of here, you damn critters!"

With a roar coming from my grinning lips, I swung my sword, cutting off the head of the War Shadow in front of me. Without pausing, I leaped to the side to dodge the attack and countered with a kick that sent a War Shadow flying to the other end as it slashed through the stomach of the monstrous twin.

The sword buried in the monster's stomach dematerialized into tiny blue filaments before being absorbed by my inventory. As a result, the monster fell dead.

I clenched my fists tightly as it disappeared from my spot at an alarming speed.

*Bang!

My fist came into contact with the enemy's mirrored face, and a crushing sound resounded. I withdrew my hand from the enemy's pierced head before advancing towards the other again.

The War Shadow crossed its arms to meet my fists; however, all it achieved with that was the bone-like sound of breaking. My fist went through the defense and buried itself in the War Shadow's chest. Followed by a black, viscous liquid gushing out of the hole in the chest, the monster let out a few spasms before the body lost its strength and fell to the ground with a thud.

Now that the heavy sword was gone, my mobility and agility increased by a net margin so that in no time, my two fists had already finished off every enemy in the place.

I quickly removed the magic stones containing their bodies and rushed forward.

"Whew, that was intense."

I waved my hands, and my enemies' dark blood splattered on the dungeon's walls whose paths intertwined.

"At least the battles here are less boring than the ones I had out there, where I only encountered goblins and kobolds."

*

I descended floor by floor without a scratch appearing on my body.

However, my beautiful pajamas were riddled with little tears produced by the attacks of my enemies! If it were only the blood, I could wash it away.....

With my shoulders slumped in dejection, I took the last stone from the body of a monster with the body of a frog. The frog monster that used its long tongue to attack Adventurers, "Frog Shooter." The beast had its tongue extended out of its scaly mouth as it dissolved. It was pretty disgusting.

I stood up and looked at the walls that formed the previous floor, which turned a light green.

The speed at which the monsters were being born from the walls had increased. Although that was normal, considering the deeper one went, the strength and speed at which monsters were born on the floors grew exponentially.

However, while it was confirmed that the monsters were getting stronger to the point that a group of average level 1 adventurers wouldn't necessarily come out unscathed after a battle, for me, it wasn't a big deal even if several monsters cornered me.

"It's time to go to the other floor."

I didn't want to waste too much time on the upper floors, so I intended to stay alone to kill the weaker monsters to get the magic stones needed for my system upgrade quickly. Then, I will go to the deeper floors to increase my strength, as I had been stuck in this range for a few days, which was already getting annoying and a bit boring.