Chapter 2 - First Impressions

Brayden waited outside the pool locker room. It was finally Friday afternoon. Brayden had been waiting for this all week. He was a mix of eager and anxious. Would he be good enough to make the team? Would Aiden show up, or had he chickened out? Would the team be a bunch of jerks, like the rest of the school? Did he remember to pack everything? What if Aiden was stuck hanging by his underwear, or stuffed in a locker again? 

Brayden had almost worked himself into a panic attack when he felt fingers diving down the back of his waistband. Before he could react, he felt his blue and black plaid boxers shoot up his butt crack. He spun around to come face to face (or rather face to top of head) with his tiny 5 foot tall attacker. "Screw off Aiden'', barked the embarrassed freshman. He quickly scanned the hallway to see if anyone else saw, as he tried to stuff his boxers back in his shorts.

The boys entered the locker room, and filed past a room full of confident upperclassmen and nervous looking freshmen. The pair found a couple vacant spots tucked away in the back corner, far from "the popular kids". 

As Brayden slipped on his new black Speedo, Aiden started to giggle. "you're wearing a speedo?" laughed the tiny freshman. Brayden gave him an annoyed replied "look around, dummy". As Aiden looked around the room, he noticed that Brayden wasn't the only one wearing a speedo. It looked like everyone but him had one of the funny looking bathing suits on too. Aiden finished changing into his bright blue and green board shorts, and the pair headed out to the pool deck to wait for the tryouts to begin.  

As they entered the pool deck, Brayden noticed that not only was everyone wearing speedo's, but it was easy to spot the freshmen from the last season's team. The returning swimmers all had matching dark blue and grey speedos, matching the school's colours. Brayden was envious. He hoped to have his own soon enough. 

Aiden didn't care about the funny looking bathing suits. His focus was on one person in perticular. Across the room, looking at Aiden with a smug look on his face, stood Connor Monaghan. Along with his friends Chase and Ethan, Connor was the reason that Aiden hated gym class. The trio bullied and humiliated the teen daily. So far Aiden had been thrown in trash cans, pantsed in front of the girls, swirlied, wedgied, tripped, thrown out of the locker room in only his tighty whities, and farted on. By far, the trio's claim to fame was when they stripped, jock lock wedgied, hogtied, gagged with an old jockstrap, and left Aiden in an Ice cold shower. (for more on that , check out Freshmen Hell Chapter 2 - Highschool Sucks!).

"Hey little fella, are you here for swimming lessons with your mommy?" teased one of the older looking kids. "Did you forget your water wings?" teased another older kid. This got a laugh from many of the teens waiting around the pool deck. Aiden was having second thoughts about coming to tryouts.

Suddenly both boys were shoved into the pool. Everyone on the pool deck was now looking at them. They looked up to see Connor standing there with an evil smirk on his face. "oops, sorry", said Connor. 

At that moment, the coach arrived. "Why are there people in the pool?!" yelled the angry teacher. Nick Monaghan, an eleventh grader and cousin of Connor stepped in to intervene. "It was an accident sir, too many eager swimmers packed into a small space" explained the tall skinny dark haired teen. "Well, be more careful boys," replied the coach.

The coach began to formally address the group. "welcome to our first of two try-out sessions, boys. Its great to see so many new faces. Just to be clear, none of you are guaranteed a spot on the team. Just because you were on the team last year, doesn't mean you don't need to bring your A-game for tryouts. The second session is Monday after school. The team roster should be posted by Tuesday. Good Luck!"

The tryouts consisted of swimming laps, then mock races over and over. It didn't take Brayden long to get back in the groove, and shake off the cobwebs. Aiden on the other wasn't fairing so well. He had no form and looked more like a drowning victim than a swimmer. 

The upperclassmen served up more than enough smack talk for both freshmen. Brayden tried to block it out, knowing that they were just trying to get in his head. Aiden on the other hand, handled it like he always did. He took it to heart, and slowly let it eat at him. 

Eventually, the whistle blew, and it was time to hit the locker room. Both boys were exhausted. As the boys were getting changed, Aiden sheepishly asked Brayden, " do we have to shower in front of everyone?". Brayden hadn't thought about that. "I hope not. let's just go" replied Brayden. 

As if on cue, someone yelled" eww, are you leaving without showering?! that's disgusting!" Everyone in the room looked over at a very panicked looking boy who was almost to the exit. "I am going to shower when I get home", replied the embarrassed teen. This led to a roar of mocking and insults from the room. The boy quietly slipped out the door. "Time for a shower?" said Brayden, nervously. "I guess so", sighed Aiden.

The Shower was a large white tiled room with shower heads down each wall and a tower in the middle, with more shower heads. The boys found two vacant shower heads next to each other and began to shower. 

As they showered, they overheard Nick giving Michael, another freshman, behind them a hard time. "rookies don't get hot water! you have to earn that shit! " said Nick, as he turned Michaels shower to cold. Michael meekly replied, " sorry, I didn't know", and continued showering in the ice cold water. Brayden and Aiden quietly turned their respective controls to the cold setting before anyone noticed. 

As the pair quickly showered in the icy water, Connor walked up to the vacant shower head next to Aiden. "Some swimmers shave all their body hair. I guess that isn't a problem for you, is it, baby Gay-den?" teased Connor. The prepubescent teen mumbled something under his breath before storming out of the shower. 

"The baby must have missed his nap", joked Connor. 

Brayden snapped back, "You're an asshole", and turned off his shower. 

As he turned to walk out of the shower, he noticed Nick looking in their direction. Brayden assumed that Nick had heard what he said to Connor. Nick did not look impressed. Brayden worried that this may affect his chances with the team. Surely as a veteran member of the team, Nick would have some pull with the coach. This would be good for Connor, but bad for Brayden and Aiden now. Still, he didn't regret standing up for his friend. 

As Brayden walked back to his spot in the locker room, he noticed that Aiden had already finished getting changed, and left.

As Brayden walked out of the locker room, Michael waved and said "See you monday". Brayden waved back, realising that this was the first remotely nice thing he had seen or heard all afternoon. Apparently the Swim team was just a bunch of jerks, just like the rest of this shitty school.