Chapter Thirty-Five | Penelope and the End

The final ball was a grand affair

While Penelope was preoccupied recently, her staff, and most importantly, Mrs. Fraser, had been more than focused on pulling together the most magnificent event to celebrate the end of the house party.

The last time Penelope had hosted an event of this magnitude, Lord Hutton was still here. She recalled how nervous, how worried she had been to do something wrong or say something he might chastise her for.

Lord Hutton had not been an unkind man—not on most days. He was intelligent, worldly, and had a high standard for Penelope to be the same. Luckily, intellect and charm were two things at Penelope's disposal. She had thought them the perfect match.

It was not until several months later that Penelope realized Hutton had collected her not as the perfect match but as the perfect stand-in. She was here, organizing his estate, whilst he ran free.

Penelope wished she were brave enough to leave and never look back. But her tenants and staff should not have to pay for the marquess' lack of responsibility. That was Penelope's burden to bear. She was the one who had made the mistake of wedding a dishonorable man.

As Penelope swept into the ballroom, glittering and alive with music and magic, she reminded herself that tonight was not the time to think about Lord Hutton.

She scanned across the floor, and it did not take long to find the towering form of Colonel Ash. He was dashing tonight, wearing a velvety navy suit coat that he looked surprisingly comfortable in as he spoke with Griffin on the outskirts of the ballroom.

The ease with which they blended into the scene made Penelope smile.

After crossing the room, Penelope had to keep from immediately melting into Beckett's side. It had become so routine, so comfortable to fit beneath his arm. She wondered if perhaps no one would notice if she rested her weight against his wall of familiarity but ultimately knew it was unlikely. People of the ton were always watching.

"Pen," Griffin said in a happy greeting. She smiled at her brother before turning to the man beside him.

"My lady," Beckett said, bowing his head. A slight smirk played on his lips, and she wished he wouldn't look at her like that. Not here, not now. Her skin heated beneath his slow appraisal as he took in her evening gown, a maroon beauty with threads of gold.

He did not say another word, but Penelope felt them, what he might have said if he dared.

"So am I supposed to simply accept how sickening the two of you are?" Griffin grumbled.

Beckett did not look away from Penelope when he responded. "Yes."

"Kingfield might have some advice for you on that matter," Leo said, sliding in beside her as he tossed Griffin a laughing smile.