Dread

Interview Night

I stood in front of the 3 sided mirror, taking in my dress for the evening. Adwin said he spent all night finishing the details. And sure, it was beautiful, a true work of brilliance. I only wished I could appreciate it.

The second it slipped onto my body, all it did was confirm my unease about this evening.

The dress was made of this floaty, gauze-like material which crisscrossed every which way around my arms and bodice. It looked elegant, but felt like a straight jacket. Nothing worried me quite so much as the bottom half, though. At my waist, a ballerina skirt formed, stopping mid thigh so as to expose the intricate, ribbon-wrapped point shoes.

I was dancing tonight. I knew I wouldn't have to fight and that provided a small comfort to me. They wouldn't risk blood and carnage on the stage, in front of everyone.

No, I wouldn't be fighting. But I would be dancing. Which meant they would be in control.

I tried not to think about it too much, not to spiral. I tried to somewhat pay attention to Adwin's words. But I couldn't, all I could see and feel was the black nothingness that came when music began to play.

I was closing in on a panic attack, I could feel it. If I didn't get out of this room in the next minute...

"Could you guys give us a moment?" It was Finnick's voice.

I heard him but I refused to open my eyes. One more look at the dress and bad things were going to happen. The sound of Emliy's two minute warning hit my ears as everyone shuffled out. It wasn't until I felt Finnick's hands wrap around my shoulders and turn me around that I opened my eyes again.

His own eyes held concern and worry. I knew that expression well. He might mimic this suave debonair to the rest of the world, but he spent so much time worrying about those he loved, more than someone should at his age.

He didn't address the topic at hand right away.

"I made sure Plutarch got the message."

I nodded and tried to slow my breathing, the problem was the dress didn't allow for much freedom in that area.

"Well, what tactic will you take? Charming or pissed off?" I asked, referring to the impending interview.

"Oh charming, always charming." He laughed but it didn't meet his eyes. "Besides, Johanna has us covered for 'pissed off'."

I laughed.

"Five bucks she uses profanity."

"Deal."

As my shoulders relaxed a bit, I noticed his hands had traveled down from my shoulders to my waist. We were closer now, I knew what he was thinking, knew he wanted to offer me some comfort right now, but it was dangerous.

"Fin, there are cameras in here."

I put my hands on his chest in an attempt to keep him at bay, although I wasn't sure if I wanted to.

"I don't care. I don't want to go on tv and cater to the capitol. I don't want them to love me, I just..." our foreheads touched. "I want to love you."

I thought for a moment.

"How about this.. how about when you have to say something. Something romantic and something charming, say it to them but really to me. I'll be watching.

We didn't get to enjoy the brief moment of genuine happiness for long, though. Emily poked her head inside and waved to us.

"Come along." Her high pitched tone carried. "One minute before you're on, Finnick."

He helped me off of the mirror's pedestal and I didn't dare look back at my reflection. Why bother, I was already dressed to be the perfect puppet.

We didn't walk far but before I heard Caesar call Fin's name he did whisper to me.

"It's just two minutes, and then it's over, Isla."

"I'll be fine, Ken Doll." I elbowed his side. "Believe it or not it's not so bad once I'm in it, I can't feel anything."

He glanced at me, not finding comfort in my words. But it was too late to assuage him. I could hear Caesar Flickerman saying the name Odair.

"Go sparkle." I winked at him.

(Hope you all are enjoying the story! I'm having fun writing it!)