3 • Lance Shares a Secret

He ignored his cell phone, his office phone, and the e-mail notifications, trying to grab his attention

He ignored his cell phone, his office phone, and the e-mail notifications, trying to grab his attention. Cole stared at the text message he'd received the night before. The same message he'd received four years earlier.

I love you, let's break up.

Last night, he tried texting the number back. He even tried calling the number, but it went straight to voicemail. Someone had deliberately messaged him Lisa's last text message. He cradled his head in his hands, tugging at his hair.

Why would someone text him Lisa's last message? Why was Lisa's old phone number still in service? How had anyone known what her last message was?

He picked up his phone and sent another text.

Who are you?

No response.

The door to his office swung open. Cole's assistant, Geoffery, was trying to stop a determined Vivi from entering.

"Ms, Crawler, please stop. I told you Mr. Hollister didn't want to be disturbed. You're going to get me fired," Geoffery pleaded. He held both his arms up as Vivi pushed at him. She wore a red business suit and stiletto heels.

"I doubt Cole will fire you. He's sitting right there doing absolutely nothing," Vivi said, pointing at Cole.

Geoffery pouted before spinning around to face Cole. "I'm so sorry, sir. She refused to listen. I told her you weren't accepting any meetings without an appointment, but she said you'd still want to see her. I tried to stop her, but she was persistent and my mother told me I should never harm a lady."

Vivi made a scoffing noise.

"Even if she doesn't act like one," Geoffery finished. "Should I call security?"

"Security?" Vivi gasped. "Listen, you—I'm practically family to Cole. How dare you threaten me with security! Don't you know who I am?"

"Yes," Geoffery huffed. "You're someone without an appointment."

She took a threatening step forward. "This isn't the first time I've been here. Don't act like you don't know me."

"Vivi, that's enough," Cole said, standing to circle his desk. "Geoffery, I'm sorry for Vivi's behavior. I know it wasn't your fault. Please, go back to your desk. I'll deal with her."

Geoffery smiled. "Yes, sir." His smile fell when he glanced back at Vivi. He rolled his eyes and exited, shutting the door behind him.

"You'll deal with me, Cole? Really? That's what you have to say after standing me up last night?"

Cole sighed. "Vivi, I called you. I told you I couldn't make it."

"Everyone was there, Cole. It was humiliating!"

"How is that my fault? I didn't invite them," Cole reminded her. "I just asked if you wanted to grab dinner. I never said it was supposed to be some sort of formal event."