Introduction

Hello, I'm the Creator. I created the world this story takes place in, though I did not create the story itself. That belongs to the people in it. And what a story it is! There will be adventure, mystery, love, amnesia, fighting, theater, betrayal, monsters, and even bears. Now I know you must be excited to scoot along and get right into the thick of it, but I hope you'll indulge an old Creator as I tell you about this and that.

The residents of this world believe in two diametrically opposed forces: creation and destruction. And as such there are two major deities: me, the Creator, and the Destroyer. My name is spoken of with reverence, much to my chagrin. If you don't want attention, don't go creating worlds! The Destroyer is looked on with the fear that befits the being who will one day end all existence. There's nothing I or anyone else can do about that, sadly. But it does bring something else to mind.

It would be understandable if you were concerned about me getting involved with the story. After all I am the Creator, aren't I? I might want to get in there and save my creations. Let me remind you again that this isn't my story. As such I have no ability to interfere with it unless I were to be invited in by those involved. There are rules even deities must follow. The Destroyer is also bound to these types of rules, so don't expect outside interference from them either.

Let's speak of the world I created for a moment. The world has many different lands filled with many different people. The story begins in Grassland, which is a realm of fertile farmland and sweeping fields. There is a lot of grass in Grassland, as you might expect, but not the short green grass which is so common in certain parts of your world. This is tall golden grass which ripples and undulates as the wind blows, and often has little fuzzy ends. The people of Grassland grow crops and raise livestock and generally have happy, uncomplicated lives far from the political intrigues of Remara or the militarism of Varmalin. But even an idyllic place like Grassland can have its sordid elements, and people who were pushed to the margins of society in the larger cities often would turn to banditry in the countryside. Hedge knights are soldiers were needed to protect the farming communities, but the people living in those communities also turned to mystical artifacts to keep them safe.

The Glaive of Hope is perhaps the most incredible and powerful of these artifacts. It can give a single person the power of an entire army. Many wars were fought in ages past over possession of the Glaive, but eventually it disappeared from the world and people's memories of it faded. It became a thing of legends, even in the village of Tamin, where it was laid to rest. But I can assure you with the confidence of the omniscient that it truly does exist. The Glaive kept Tamin safe, empowering those chosen to protect the community to the point where only a single hedge knight and no one else was needed. And I can also tell you with omniscient certainty that the Glaive is soon to be removed from its resting place, causing one young woman to set out on a journey to find it: Naomi, apprentice to the hedge knight Bogart.

Naomi had seen seventeen summers by the time this story began. She was on the shorter side, but her intense training had given her muscles like steel cords. Her dark hair was very prematurely turning a mouse-gray, and she kept it cut short on Bogart's very practical recommendation. Her face had a neutral expression that could come across as dour and she tended to be sparse with her words. The boys of the village may have been interested in her, but she intimidated them; she was able to weather both Bogart's withering gaze and his sparring sessions. But Naomi didn't particularly care, being content with studiously completing her training.

I believe I have talked enough now. You have a starting reference point and are surely itching to go. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Regards,

The Creator