Nine

Imagine all the people

Livin' for today

Imagine all the people

Livin' life in peace

*******

Tasha had told me that today was the day I would be leaving the park. Leopold had put a harness on me several times over the last week but would take it off before he left. I was nervous but excited. Just one thing left to do.

"Mom, can you and Dad please meet me at the pond?"

"On our way."

We had bickered about this for a few weeks after I told them. They hid in the trees a few times and watched me interact with Leopold. They are scared for me instead of happy that I accomplished my goal. I now have to tell them that I'm leaving.

My parents greeted me happily. We have spent more time together in the past month than in the four months previous. I hope they take this well.

"Tasha informed me a few minutes ago that Leopold got permission to remove me from the park. When he comes today, I will leave with him." I said softly.

I know he will bring me back to visit once I start talking to him---that took me by surprise...

Tasha was out with her handler and the woman he was courting. There was danger, and she yelled out in the mindlink to warn him, and he heard her.

After getting them home, he asked her why she had never spoken to him. She told of the humans keeping them in cages, threatening to kill them if they were sentient, and the deaths of all of her friends and family by the Votaks. She just didn't mention that those killed were human. Tasha stressed that the Dragonets are terrified of all other races, and he promised to keep her secret.

Serena and Tom will also talk to their handler as well. Once you are bonded, you are no longer a pet but a child to them. When the time comes, I trust he will keep my secret, too.

"Clover, please don't do this. We are so scared for you!" My dad spoke up.

"Please understand. I will be safe with Leopold. He will take good care of me. I know this is hard to explain, but it's not just wanting to hunt Sicora anymore. It's this deep feeling of caring that I have for him. I bonded with him, and I needed to be with him. I'm glad they finally said I could go because I almost followed him out of the park yesterday. I don't want to be separated from him anymore. I know he's not like a mate, but I have similar feelings. Please be happy for me."

I could see my parents talking through a private link. Finally, they turned back to me.

"We have talked to Serena and Tom. They also spoke of this link they have with their handler." Mom chuckled a bit, then continued, "She talks of how much they are spoiled. Food, heat lamps, oil massages! They get Sunburst berries all the time!"

It seems my mom is finally coming around.

"Do you promise to talk to me every day?" Dad asks.

"I promise."

When Leopold arrived, Tasha and her handler were with them. Leopold seemed tense, maybe nervous that I would not go with him. Like that would happen after all I went through!