The Backrooms (Story 1)

<004, do you receive me?>

<I receive you, 008>

<What's going on there?>

004 looked around. It was all a maze of yellow-wallpapered walls lit by flashing lights. The smell of the carpet mixed with that of the dust, giving a sense of old age and abandonment.

<No sign of life, 008. My men are scouring the area, I'm covering their backs. What's going on with you?>

008 shouldered his rifle. <There's no sign of life here either. Everything seems calm at the moment.>

<Okay. Received. Let's stay on the line.>

004 and his men, 005 and 012, entered the strange labyrinth of offices. Gradually as they moved away the walls began to form columns, leaving some spaces that looked like real corridors.

<The position of the walls has started to change here, 008. I think it means something.> 004 said to 008 over the walkie-talkie.

<Describe> 008 answered him

<Well, there are columns lined up in order, it's like they form diagonal corridors.>

<At my place there are only closed rooms, which separate the rest of the place by doors.> said 008

The latter saw bloodstains on the outside wall of a room and on the carpet. The bloodstains were like streaks, fitting into a spacing similar to a door frame.

008 entered. There was a man, slumped on the ground, with a shaved head, wearing a gray sweater and black chinos. His wrinkles and dark circles were evident, and his eyes were wide. 

The man was dead, with severe injuries to his stomach and chest.

<Jesus> said 008 <Apparently there are hostile presences here, 004.>

<What did you find?>

<A man. He's not in good shape. In other words, he was quartered.>

There was a moment of silence.

<Are you sure he didn't commit suicide somehow?> 004 asked 008.

<Well, I don't detect any weapons or blades with which he could have harmed himself. Of course, he could never have gotten himself a wound like that simply by using his hands.> He replied.

004 looked up. There was a sign attached to a column. It was a danger sign, with a picture of a strange creature. She was apparently tall, with a square head and long limbs, and his body vaguely resembled a mass of black wires.

<What is that?> 004 said to himself.

He looked away.

005 and 012 were gone.

<Hey, where are you?> 004 said, raising his voice.

<What's going on, 004?> Asked 008.

<005 and 012 are hiding somewhere> 004 answered him. <Hey, it's not funny! Let yourself be seen, it's dangerous here!>

008 bent his head to examine the corpse, but at one point, screams were heard from the other end of the walkie-talkie.

Screams of pain.

And...

Metallic noises?

<Hey, 004.> 008 said.

From the 004 line the screams continued until they died down. They went out like a candle flame in the wind.

<Come on, let's go.> 008 called his men and they followed the tracker in 004's suit.

They found him dead, with exactly the same injuries left on the man in the room.

<WHAT HAPPENED?> 008 asked shocked. Then he turned his gaze to a leaflet attached to a column.

It was a sign of danger, with a picture of a tall creature with a large square head, long limbs and a body made of black wires.