16 // Ambush

❥ KNOX'S POV

KNOX'S POV

When Knox finally makes it out front, his brothers are already sitting on their bikes with their ski masks on, ready to go.

"Do I even need to ask why you're late?" Gavin calls out, starting his motorcycle. Knox says nothing while mounting his bike and slipping his mask on. "Yeah, I figured it was the kid."

Knox scowls. "Don't."

Gavin chuckles. "Let's ride!"

They zoom through the property gates like bats out of hell, adrenaline pumping through their veins. Knox tries to keep his mind focused on the task at hand, but with it being an hour long drive to the dock, his mind occasionally drifts back to Everett. Asking little questions like is he okay? Is he tucked away somewhere crying and cursing Knox's guts? Have his feelings changed after their big argument?

And that kiss in the kitchen... What the fuck possessed him to kiss Everett like that?

The look on Josie's face was telling. Everyone knows it by now, don't they? How much of a goner Knox is over Everett, a boy he's known for less than ninety days. A foul-mouthed, stubborn piece of work who repeatedly pushes his buttons without consequence.

Yeah, Knox is a fucking goner all right.

"Fifteen out!" Levi, the road captain, gathers everyone's attention when he speaks through the headset in his Bluetooth helmet—a helpful new gadget that Mason had recently suggested they purchase—alerting everyone that they're getting closer to Hickory Springs.

He holds his right fist in the air moments later before turning right onto an unmarked dirt road. No one questions him. It's his job to know all the shortcuts and hidden entrances and exits inside and outside of town, and especially when they're venturing into someone else's territory. It makes their rides a hell of a lot smoother most of the time.

As they slow to a stop near an abandoned cabin in the middle of a deeply wooded area, the van where Oz's weapons will be temporarily stored for safekeeping, parks behind them. Gavin orders the driver to stick around and watch over the bikes, then Levi leads everyone up a new path a few feet away. It takes them up a steep hill that looks out over the entire area where the shipment is set to arrive, making it the perfect vantage point. 

They're hidden by trees while also being provided with a full view of the lake and dock, granting them access to see The Jackals every move once they arrive. 

"This is a damn good spot, Levi. Remind me to buy you a bottle on the way back," Gavin says, keeping his voice low. Levi grunts his approval in response. "We can't all sit up here. We need to spread out and corner the bastards at all sides. Only one of them will leave here alive tonight." He then says to Knox, "You need to give some kind of a signal after you figure out who the leader of the group is so we can avoid shooting him when the shit hits the fan."