CHAPTER 9

The car was pulled over in front of the entrance. Noah and Angelo climbed out of the car. Noah watched the mansion that had a marble fountain across it and the grand garden was arranged beautifully. He felt that leaving this beautiful mansion deserted like some historical building seemed obnoxious. However, the protagonist liked to spend some time here, but he could not think of living here as it was away from his workplace and besides, his family didn't live here.

An old man came through the entrance and greeted Angelo and he returned the greeting. He told him to take care of Noah until he came back; however, it was like keeping an eye on him. Angelo left him along with the old man, following a gravel path to the rear of the mansion to his mother's grave.

Noah had a brief introduction and he learned the old man's name was Milo and he was the one in charge of looking after this place along with his wife and a few people. "Please, follow me, Mr. Edwards." Noah felt hesitant, anyway, he walked behind him inside the house. The old-style interior was elegant that he had only seen on the telly.

Noah asked for water and the old man went to the kitchen. While Noah admired the view of the beautiful Katharine mansion where she married to Luciano, and gave birth to Angelo. And she lived here until she left with Angelo, when he was just a kid.

--

The wind was chilly and the sound of rustling leaves, and chirping of birds was something Angelo was intimated; always, flaring up of his childhood memories that all it remained was flickers. He knelt before his mother's grave and cleaned the grave by removing the dry leaves and then placed the flowers. His mother was an easy-going American woman. A high school teacher. Along the way, she met his father, Luciano and fell in love with him. But her love was not strong enough to jeopardize her son's life by living with her husband, who was running a crime syndicate.

Five-year-old Angelo never saw his father around after his mother divorced him. He was a kid. and kids know when something is not right. Even people around the kids would tell them that everything is fine.

Angelo had some memories of being with his father before his mother separated from him. Whenever he would come back from his work, his small feet would run into him and his father would catch his arms and smooch his hands and his face and throw him in the air, asking him how his little sun day had been so far. He would tell him bed stories in the bed, he would make different voices to make the stories interesting and his mother would be there, listening to him and also taking part in orating the story, and Angelo would drift off with a smile on his face without knowing.

It'd been like any other day, in the conservatory Angelo playing with blocks and his mother was grading the papers of her students. And a blast sound startled them. It was a gun sound. Then another startling blast sound. Angelo was frozen, unable to move while his mother rushed toward him and clutched him in her embrace and carried him. The gun firing persistently coming from somewhere close. He could feel her trembling in fear. Her hands were icy and he could hear the wild heartbeat of her. His father was not at home. Benson, their house butler galloped and in a composed voice, he told his mother to follow him. They were in some secret basement. It was like a compartment with everything in it that a person could spend a month here without going out from there. "They won't find you here, madam. And Sir is on the way." Ben left both of them alone. Sitting against a wall, his mother told him to cover his ears tightly and not to make a sound while she embraced him like a shield. A terror etched into her blue eyes as he took a glance back to her eyes. The firing had stopped after a while. But his mother did not dare to leave the basement until his father came. Through the door his father entered. His white shirt was covered in blood, and his face broke into relief as he watched them. He bent down and hugged his wife and his son. "Everything is alright." Except nothing was alright when after weeks, he heard the shouting of his parents.