Chapter 53

Ezra POV

I couldn't take it.

I wanted to scream. I needed to scream.

The seconds felt like hours. The minutes felt like days.

I needed the surgeon to come out and tell me that my baby was okay. I needed to hear that she was alive. I needed to hear that her heart was beating. I needed to know that she would open her eyes and smile at me.

I couldn’t take it anymore.

I stood up, tangled my fingers into my hair, and started pacing around.

How long were we even here? I had no idea. It felt like we were here forever. It felt like my baby had been taken from me a long time ago.

I needed someone to tell me that she was okay.

“Where is she?” I heard someone scream.

I turned around and saw my family running toward us.

Dylan looked like he hadn’t slept in ages. Matt and Carter were shaking. My uncle was pissed as fuck. Grandpa was crying.

“Where is my little girl?” grandpa asked as soon as they reached us.

“In surgery.” Liam said quietly.

“Oh, my sweetie.” grandpa said as he sat down and put his head into his hands.

“What the fuck happened?!” Carter asked angrily. “How the fuck did she get shot?!”

“Why the fuck are you all wearing scrubs?!” Dylan asked, not allowing us to answer Carter’s question.

“We were covered in blood when we came here.” I mumbled, making my family look at me wide-eyed.

I started pacing around again.

“What the fuck happened?!” Carter repeated his question.

“Sienna showed up at our house.” Liam mumbled. “She said that she wanted to talk to Lucy. She wanted Lucy to prove that she didn’t try to separate her from us.”

“Stupid bitch.” Dylan mumbled, clenching his fists.

Liam looked at him and sighed.

“We told her that there was no fucking way that we would let her see Lucy.” Liam continued. “She pulled a fucking gun and pointed it at me. She started screaming and telling Lucy to come talk to her because she was going to shoot me.”

To say that my family was pissed would be an understatement.

“Why didn’t you stop Lucy?” Dylan asked angrily.

I wanted to punch him. Did he really think that we didn’t try to stop her?!

“We tried.” Mike mumbled.

“When Lucy came, Sienna confessed that she was there to take Lucy away.” Liam said, making Dylan look back at him. “The fucker who took Riley is her brother. She is a member of Larson’s fucking gang. Her actual boyfriend is in the gang too.”

A wave of anger rushed over me. The bitch was faking everything. Absolutely everything.

My family looked at me.

“Boyfriend?” Matt mumbled.

“She was dating me to get to Lucy.” I said, my voice raspy. “She was trying to help her brother.”

Dylan clenched his fists. Carter groaned and ran his hand over his face. The rest of my family started cursing.

“I told her that she would have to shoot me if she wanted to get to Lucy.” Liam continued, his voice breaking. “She started shooting, and Lucy threw herself in front of me.”

Liam sobbed and bent his head down.

My heart broke.

I sat next to him and pulled him into my arms.

Grandpa was sobbing quietly. My uncle was staring at a wall. Tears were running down his cheeks. My cousins were pissed off.

“The bullet hit her left shoulder.” Liam continued, sobbing quietly. “It was just above her heart.”

My grandpa sobbed even louder. My cousins and my uncle gasped.

“She lost so much blood…” Liam mumbled, wrapping his arms around me.

“And her heart stopped in the ambulance.” I added quietly.

“What?” Dylan mumbled, his eyes widening.

I looked at him and felt a sharp pain in my chest. He looked like his world had come crashing down. All of us probably looked like that.

“Her heart stopped in the ambulance.” I repeated a little louder. “They managed to restart it.”

Our family was staring at me with their mouths hanging open.

“She died?” Carter mumbled.

Noah sobbed, making me look at him. Theo and he were sitting on the chairs opposite us. They were holding onto each other tightly. They haven’t moved or spoken ever since they came back from donating blood.

“She didn’t die.” Mike said angrily. “She is alive, and she is going to get through this. She has to get through this. I can’t…”

His voice broke. He bent his head down and took a deep breath.

“Ezra?” I heard a familiar voice.

I turned to my left and saw Ethan looking at us, confused.

“What are you doing back here?” he asked as he looked me up and down. “Why are you wearing scrubs?”

Fuck.

I ran my fingers through my hair and took a deep breath. I couldn't repeat the story again. I simply couldn't.

Ethan looked at Theo and Noah. His eyes widened. He looked around the room, and I could see the panic in his eyes.

“Where is Lucy?” Ethan asked as he rushed toward us.

I gulped and took another deep breath.

“She is in surgery.” I mumbled. “She got shot.”

Ethan’s eyes widened. He visibly paled.

“What?” he mumbled, keeping his wide eyes on me.

“Sienna shot her.” I said, trying to stop my voice from breaking. “The guy who took Riley is Sienna’s brother. She was working with him.”

Ethan remained silent. His wide eyes never left mine.

“Lucy will be okay.” I told him. “She is going to get through this.”

I didn’t know if I was convincing him or myself.

Ethan tightened his jaw. I saw tears in his eyes.

“How bad is it?” he asked quietly.

I took a deep breath and swallowed the lump in my throat.

“She lost a lot of blood.” I mumbled. “Her heart stopped beating in the ambulance.”

Ethan sobbed and placed his hand over his mouth.

“She is going to be okay.” I told him as I tightened my arms around Liam. “She is strong. She is going to be just fine.”

I had to keep repeating that. I had to convince myself that she would be okay.

We heard footsteps approaching us.

I looked behind Liam and saw a doctor looking around the room.

All of us jumped up at the same time.

“Where is she?”

“Is she okay?”

“Please tell me that my little girl is okay.”

The doctor sighed and gave us all a stern look.

“Is Mr. Liam Ferri here?” the doctor asked.

“I am here.” Liam said immediately.

I let go of him and he took a step closer to the doctor. He grabbed my hand, and squeezed it tightly.

“Please tell me that my child is okay.” Liam said, his voice breaking.