Wattpad Original
There are 17 more free parts

Chapter 65: Loose Ends

A week later, Akira and Danya's departure from the mess was interrupted by the person Akira least expected: Makana.

It had been almost a month since Akira last saw them when her team had returned to the Crusader from Texas. A part of Akira had been relieved by the lack of sightings; her explanation to Danya of what happened between them made the wound feel raw and fresh, and Akira wasn't sure if she could stand to see Makana again so soon. But a smaller part was the exact opposite, wanting to prove to Makana just how much Akira had accomplished since then.

When Makana stopped them in the middle of the passageway, their eyes downcast and their posture lopsided, Akira felt nothing but calm.

Evidently, Danya couldn't say the same, and Akira could almost feel her rage as she stepped between them.

"Get out of our way," Danya ordered, her voice low and threatening.

For a moment, it seemed like Makana was more than willing to comply, even moving a step and a half-turn back.

"Danya," Akira said, gently grabbing one of Danya's wrists.

"Leave," Danya continued, only reacting to Akira's gesture by holding her offered hand.

"Don't leave," Akira corrected before Makana could move, then leaned towards Danya's ear. "It's okay. Really."

Danya kept her glare on Makana. "Maybe for you, but not for me. Not after what this 'coward' said."

At Danya's words, Makana's eyes widened, then narrowed at Akira. "You told her?"

"Is that a problem?" Danya snapped, marching towards Makana until Akira jumped between them. Even though Danya's eyes were level with Akira's shoulders, she easily craned her neck over to keep her fiery glare on Makana. "What? You don't want everyone knowing what an asshole you are?"

"Danya, seriously," Akira said, resting her hands on Danya's arms. "It's fine. I'm fine."

For a moment, it seemed like Danya was going to ignore her until her eyes finally shifted from Makana to Akira. "You sure?"

"Yeah." Akira smiled softly as she squeezed Danya's arms. "Thanks, but I got this."

Danya frowned, but she still leaned back with a shrug. "Fine. Just let me know if you need to hide a body later."

Once Danya headed back to the mess, probably to sneak in another meal, Akira turned to Makana.

"Interesting choice," Makana muttered, still eyeing the doorway Danya disappeared through.

Akira crossed her arms. "Did you want to talk or not?"

Makana grimaced as they returned their gaze to Akira. "Sorry."

Akira followed them through the ship for a minute until they reached a small, empty office. Two full-steel desks with matching chairs were mounted to the ground to form an L-shape, both littered with books and papers showing technical drawings and logs. While Akira awkwardly leaned on the edge of one of them, Makana locked the door behind them and moved to the other one.

"How much did you tell her?" Makana asked, crossing their arms as they leaned back.

Akira narrowed her eyes and mimicked their posture. "That's none of your business."

"Sorry," Makana repeated, suddenly turning their eyes towards the deck. "I just... I didn't think you would ever tell anyone what happened."

Akira scoffed. "Because you thought I'd never risk getting discharged?"

"Because you'd never willingly expose your weaknesses like that," Makana corrected, lifting their gaze. "Not that I'm saying you're weak, I mean..."

They sighed, briefly closing their eyes to collect themselves.