35 ❥ Little Talks

Confused

Confused.

That's how I feel waking up in a house that isn't my own. The memories of last night come back to me one by one. I came to Roman's to check up on him. I must have fallen asleep during the movie.

I lift my head from the couch, only to realize that it wasn't the couch I was resting on, but Roman's chest. It rises and falls in the pattern of his sleep.

And that's when I think... I slept through the whole night.

This is the first time in a while I've slept so peacefully. I already know it's because of him. I think that's the reason I ever fell asleep here in the first place because his presence is comforting and I know I'll be safe with him.

Somehow through the night, he both shifted from sitting upright in our sleep to laying horizontally on the couch. This furniture was surprisingly wide and comfortable.

I smile as I watch him sleep. Then, I try not to move too much as I adjust myself back onto his chest.

Roman stirs a moment and his breathing sounds more alert. He just lays there for a while and so do I.

"You awake?" He asks quietly. His voice is raspy and slightly deeper from just waking up.

"Not yet," I answer and his chest rocks lightly.

He reaches over and taps on my home screen to check the time. It's eight in the morning and I have a missed call and a few messages from my aunt.

"Mm," I complain. "I should probably respond to that."

Roman is rubbing his eyes as I rise from the couch and grab my phone from the table. "You can use my room." he nods his head to the hall. "It's the last door on the left."

I finish my call with Gina. letting her know I was safe and that I was sorry. The truth was, I didn't even think she would be home last night so I didn't think it mattered to let her know.

I observe Roman's room, realizing it's the first time I've been in here. He makes his bed. I don't know why I think that's cute, but I do. There's some clothes on the floor and a few water bottles scattered around but other than that, Roman keeps his room relatively tidy.

"Was she mad?" Roman speaks from the doorway.

I shake my head. "No, she just wanted to know I was safe."

He nods his head and comes into the room. I don't hide my poking around and Roman doesn't seem to mind it. I go to his desk and I see it. The art he told me about that night we studied together and went to the arcade.

I give him a look, silently asking for his permission. "Go ahead," he says. "I'll be back." I smile big and flip his sketch book open. I hear Roman close the door to the bathroom across the hall.

Roman must have been lying about his sketches not being good. Because if his paintings looked like this, there was no way he was lacking in something like sketching.