TWENTY-NINE

"How's that?"

I stretched my arm forward, twisting it side to side before flexing it cautiously. Smiling in relief when it didn't sting or throb, I turned to Blake. "As good as new. Thank you so much, this would've hurt for weeks if not for your magic."

A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. He lowered his head to hide it, gazing at the carpet as if it was the most interesting object in the world. "I'm not too familiar with healing spells. Lucine always had me do the opposite." He frowned before changing the topic, "Sorry I can't heal that scar, though. That's the effect a witch's fire has on living things."

I examined the uneven patches of pink skin around my wrist and upper arm – I could see the outlines of Lucine's fingers when she burned me that day. Grandma Selene already warned me about it, but it pained me to know those scars will be a constant reminder of what happened.

I will always carry a part of Lucine with me.

Crossing my legs underneath me, I force a comforting smile at Blake. "Don't worry too much about it. The pain's gone, that's all that matters."

He nodded once and began putting away the herbs he used for the healing spell. It took him a total of two hours and three attempts before the burn wounds on my arm magically recovered. During that time, I concluded that he wasn't as bad as his sister. He never had the opportunity to learn how to use his magic for good, but seeing how determined he was to heal my arm, I finally caught a glimpse of his true character.

"Did you like it?" I asked evenly, feeling nothing but sympathy towards him. "Torturing people, I mean."

His eyes met mine as he nodded weakly, but immediately added, "I knew it was wrong, though. Back then I didn't have a reason to stop, now I have Clemmy - if she'll accept me when she turns eighteen."

I waved it off with a grin. "Of course, she'll accept you. You just need to learn how to distinguish between her sincerity and sarcasm. She has an abundance of both." Even when we were trapped in that cave and confined by tendrils of magic, did Clemmy manage a witty remark or two. I frowned, recalling something that I've been wondering about since the battle ended. "Can I ask you another question?"

Blake frowned curiously, but nodded as he crossed his arms.

"Back in the cave, Lucine's magic hardly budged when we tried to escape. How come I was able to break free last night? It took some effort, of course, but still."

"Her magic is...was strong, yes," he began, the crease in his forehead deepening as he searched for an answer. "Honestly, I don't know. Unless she was unconscious, you weren't supposed to be able to escape her binds."

That's exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps the answer died with Lucine, but I'd lie if I said I wouldn't kill to know how I was able to escape her hold on me.  

A knock sounded at the door before Rheon poked his head in. "Are visiting hours open yet?"

Blake nodded silently and gathered his things to leave. The two of them exchanged brisk nods before the half-werewolf exited the room.

Rheon closed the door behind him and came to stand before me. He bent down and buried his face in my neck, sending goosebumps spreading across my arms as he inhaled my scent.

"I still can't get over it," he breathed against my skin, "You smell simply amazing. It's... otherworldly."

"Hello to you too." I grinned before holding up my arm for him to see, "And look, Blake healed me. I'm armed again." I winked at him, "Get it? Armed?"

Rheon chuckled and carefully held my arm in his hands, brushing his thumb over the scars that remained. I studied him carefully, noticing how his eyes darkened while he no doubt imagined Lucine torturing me. The scars weren't just my burden to bear as a constant reminder of the curse, but his as well.