1

He saw her walking alone on the side of the road. For a moment, he couldn't believe his eyes... and then came the guilt; rushing through his veins like blood. Images from that dreadful night played right before his eyes. He was a 29 year old man. One that would certainly not describe himself as emotional or someone that scared easily but he couldn't number all the times he had been awoken by a nightmare and cried himself to sleep in the past few weeks. Perks of being the son of the city's most influential, most powerful politician were gravely overshadowed by the downsides.

The past minute felt like an eternity when he finally asked his driver to turn the car around. He got out of the car and walked over to her hoping to God she wouldn't recognize him.

"Excuse me," he said to gain her attention.

The look on her face was a sign she didn't recognize him. She didn't say anything but the look on her face sent a shiver down his spine. It was just a blank look. No expression, no emotion; dead.

"Can I help you with something? I mean aap itni raat ko yun yahan akele?" He regretted his words the moment they left his mouth. His guilt was now beginning to make its way up his throat. He was the reason she was alone.

She looked at him, lost, for a moment before speaking. "Nahi, shukriya. Main-main theek hoon." She said.

"Main aapko aapke ghar drop kardoon?" He asked.

"Ghar?" She asked and he could feel the three letter word stabbing his heart three thousand times. Her expressions changed ever so slightly, as if she just thought of something. "Actually kya aap mujhe kisi pharmacy par drop kardengay?" She asked him. Despite of the cold look on her face, her eyes radiated warmth.

He nodded and walked her to his car.

The drive to the pharmacy was less than 10 minutes. 10 minutes of silence. 10 minutes of guilt. 10 minutes of him wishing he didn't know her, not like this.

The car came to a halt and she turned to him.

"Thank you," she said before opening the door and stepping out.

He stepped out after her. He watched her as she made her way towards the the entrance and disappeared into the store. He crossed his arms and leaned his back at his car, waiting for her to come outside.

Their eyes met as she stepped out of the pharmacy. He stood up right, and straightened his sky blue shirt.

"main aapko ghar drop kar deta hoon," he said, opening the car door.

"Iski zaroorat nahi hai, mera ghar paas mein hai. I'll walk," she replied and began walking toward the wretched old apartments to his left. His heart sank. How was she living there? He thought. She halted and looked back at him. "Shukriya," she said with a faint smile before continuing to walk towards her home.

This past hour and a half was the most difficult period of time Maher had ever endured. He couldn't get her face out of his mind as he aimlessly stared at the street lights out of his window.