Chapter 9: Detention

Marjorie's POV

    "Hey, Marjorie," greeted Rei with a touch of surprise. "What brought this on?"

    Marjorie shrugged, pulling a wary Bucky down with her to sit at Rei's table. "Everyone already knew I was here, so I was giving Bucky a tour." And she needed to find him food... "Nice skirt."

    "Thanks, it's new," they glowed. Rei turned to glare at Blyke. "Who did you tell?" they demanded.

    Blyke shrunk under their gaze. "Why do you automatically assume that I told someone?"

    They raised their eyebrows.

    "A few people," he muttered. "It was an accident. I was talking to the drama kids and—Hey!"

    Marjorie tuned out Rei trying to light Blyke on fire, and refocused on Bucky.

    He was eyeing the cafeteria with suspicion. She agreed: the food was better than most schools (or so she heard) but there were probably close to two hundred students in it.

    Since lunch was an hour, and some students ate outside, not everyone was in the cafeteria at once. And the cafeteria was probably large enough to accommodate a thousand.

    But two hundred people was still a lot, and Marjorie was thankful Rei's table was in the corner so nobody could sneak up behind them.

    Riku slid Rei's barely touched food to Bucky. "They're not going to eat it," she explained.

    He glanced at Rei and Blyke, who had abandoned the table in a tangle of limbs. (Rei was doing most of the fighting, Blyke wasn't once for violence. That was probably why Blyke was reluctant to participate in Self Defense classes, causing a skill gap in Rei's favor.) Bucky shrugged. "Thanks, I think."

    "Hi, Marjorie!" exclaimed a new addition to Rei's table since she joined the Avengers. "It's nice to see you, again," she offered shyly.

    The girl was only an inch taller than Marjorie, clearly Mexican despite her lavender-tinted skin, and had thick, loose curls that almost reached her waist. Her face clicked; "Hey, Emmy," greeted Marjorie.

    Jessica Garcia—known as Emmy—was a bubbly girl with a power to create limited hallucinations. She was a decent painter, and used to follow around Marjorie, idolizing her—presumably for her artistic success.

    She was younger than Marjorie by a few months, and—with a jolt—she realized she missed her birthday in September. Emmy had always been on the outside of Rei's group (mainly because she hung out with the art kids) but maybe that had changed.

    "I like your hair," beamed Emmy. "Riku did mine a few months ago." She showed off the lavender streaks in her otherwise black hair that matched her complexion.

    Marjorie smiled back. She was such a cinnamon roll. "Thanks."

    "Are you going to stay here for a while? Are you still an Avenger? You didn't get kicked out, did you?"

    Marjorie's smile became a little more forced. She was starting to remember why Emmy had been on the outside. "Yeah, I'll probably stay here for a while." She didn't answer the others.

    "Are you going to apply for the X-Men again?" Emmy didn't mean any harm, but she seriously lacked tact.

    She ignored Bucky's eyes curiously shifting towards her. "I don't know, maybe."

     "So, are you—"

    "Hey, Emmy," interrupted Riku, "what are you working on in art, again?"