63| We're not in Kansas anymore

Alyssa
_______________

The roar of the crowd swallows the scream I let out. I fight my way forward, pushing and shoving through limbs upon limbs, but the mass of bodies tosses me back until the current carries me away.

With no other way out, I slip into a well-practiced stance. The old me would have recoiled at the thought of fighting back, and part of me still is, but some things in life are more important than fear, and protecting those you care about is one of them.

For the next few minutes, I shove and fight my way through bodies, desperate to get to Max. I don't think about anything else now, not how scared I am or how hurt he might be. I just pretend I'm in the ring, using my footwork to sidestep opponents and find my way back to him.

I have to.

Behind me, Kino and Khalil try hard to stay close, but when I start veering off to where Max went down and not the exit, Kino yanks me back. "Khalil," he shouts without looking at me, "I'm going to try and find Max. I need you to get Alyssa out of here."

I give him this look as if I think he's insane, because he is. "I'm not going anywhere without Max."

"Khalil," Kino says. "Now."

I'm about to tell him he's being ridiculous when Khalil seizes both arms, pulling me back until a cluster of bodies fills the space between Kino and me. I struggle against him, feeling the familiar lump in my throat as I thrash in his grip, not out of sadness but anger. I'd promised myself after everything with Justin that I'd never feel this powerless again - lo and behold my success.

"Get off me," I hiss, but either he can't hear me or doesn't care because he tightens his grip. Fueled by adrenaline - or maybe just fury - I jerk back my head to headbutt his nose, but he dodges. "I swear to god, if you don't let me go right now, Khalil."

An undeterred Khalil drags me further from the scene, the commotion around us fading into a distant roar. I twist and turn, my voice straining with pleas for Khalil to let go, but it's useless. He's four times my size and running on adrenaline - I don't think he can even hear me.

Khalil's grip tightens, his fingers digging into my tendons as he urges me forward, and then, through the haze, I feel the cool air brush my face as we find our way outside.

The world shifts into focus again. I feel myself hunch over, inhaling and exhaling as much fresh air as my lungs allow. After battling the sweat and humidity in there, part of me is glad to have made it outside, but a bigger part feels guilty that Max and Kino haven't.

"Khalil, stop," I say, pushing against him, but he continues to jostle me along.

"We can't stop here," he says. "It's too busy."

I look around and realize he's right. Crowds of people are already spilling their way onto the street, and in the faint distance, a gunshot sounds. My heart quickens as I numbly stumble after Khalil, my legs still shaking with adrenaline. Khalil holds me tighter, guiding me further from the gym.

"We have to go back," I say through quick breaths because suddenly, I'm struggling to breathe. "We can't just leave them."

"Go back and do what, exactly?" He grabs my hand like an irritated parent might take their child's hand before they run off again. "Besides, the only thing Max would want me to do right now is keep you safe," he says and yanks me down the sidewalk.

Using his free hand, Khalil pulls his phone out and swiftly calls the cops, giving them the gym's address before tucking it back in his pocket. I feel some of the dread ease, convinced that in a few minutes' time, the police will arrive, and everything will be fine. Max and Kino will be safe.