chapter twelve

"Don't make me do this."

Main Street was unrecognisable with fairy lights wrapped around trees, decorative little ornaments dangling from branches and white candles covering pretty much every surface. It looked rather stunning, but all the blazing candles looked like a serious fire hazard waiting to happen.

Shane rested his forearm on the edge of the car seat and turned to his daughter. "An hour, that's all I'm asking."

Paige shook her head, watching as another group, a small family of witches, emerged from a nearby car and head towards Main Street. From where she sat routed in her dad's car, Paige could already see there had to be close to fifty witches down the street, and more kept showing up every moment.

It was way too much magic. Ever since Aaron destroyed Hollie's charm, magic had exploded onto her senses once more. Going in there with all those witches would be like walking through atomic waste.

"It's a great gathering for young witches," Shane added helpfully. His words only made Paige scowl sourly.

Paige knew local witches gathered often for little rituals but she had never been to one before, she has seen them from afar though. She had almost thought her dad was joking when he knocked on her door a few hours ago and announced she was to participate in tonight's ritual.

"You can't make me go," Paige said once more, almost feeling herself sink further into the leather seat as a young witch passed by the car window. She looked happy and eager, her body practically glowing with magic. "Why are you making me go?"

Shane heaved a sigh so heavy that his shoulders shook. "Paige, it's the first ritual since you've been home. It's a full moon tonight."

Paige crossed her arms and spoke before her dad could say anymore. "We're not wolves."

Shane gave her a look. "I know there's a lot about witches I don't know, but I do know that there is a lot of magic in the moon." That's very true. "Especially a full moon."

Paige tilted her head out the window and gazed at the moon that hanged high above. They had a perfect view of the blazing orb above. "There's a lot of power in a full moon." She snapped back to her dad with a sharp gaze. "Doesn't mean I have to participate, though."

"I think it would be good for you to experience more from your culture."

Paige narrowed her eyes. "Have you spoken to Ms. Schade again? I swear that woman has got to get a life."

Shane shook his head with a chuckle. "No one put me up to this, Paige. I saw the advert in the paper. Plus, a lot of local witches are going." He hesitated, then added, "Including Carol Penn."

Not the answer Paige was expecting. "Penn? You want me to be buddies with the social worker that's trying to split us up?"

"I think it would be a good show if you turn up tonight."

It would become quite a spectacle if Paige lost control and blew up half the street. Especially with her recent discovery of fire magic. Those candles were looking more dangerous than beautiful at the moment.

Paige could tell her dad had hoped for a quiet little farewell. He did not want an argument, but he should have known better. Paige wasn't into witchy rituals.

The longer the argument dragged out, the more uncomfortable he looked, until he finally relented. "Look Paige, if Carol sees you out and about, with witches, participating in one of their rituals, she'd be pleased."

"She'd probably drop dead with shock."

"Let's hope." Shane had a small smile. "But she does have some sway with the Council."