10

THE KING
~ Jaxson's pov ~

Morning shifted and I was up early before the family could. I could not sleep a wink knowing that Arabella was just across the hall from me. Mrs. Houstings had upgraded myself from downstairs to up just in case Arabella needed anything. I was not complaining.

Just as I reached the kitchen, coming downstairs, I can hear someone clinking their spoon against the glass. Making haste downstairs, I'm met with Arabella who sits in the kitchen, eating what looks to be ice cream.

But what really stops me in my tracks is the fact that she's still in her nightgown. Which means she was showing a lot more skin than what she reveals in her dresses. Her chest was more open, and from what I could tell, she wasn't wearing anything that could stop her nipples from appearing.

They were poking through the sheer lace gown, glinting at me- teasing me. I pinch the bridge of my nose, trying to calm my breathing and enter the kitchen, earning her attention.

She sits up, her chest pokes out more and with the clench of my jaw, I take a seat in front of her.

"Good morning," she greets me and I can only nod, trying to meet her eyes but her nipples were seizing the moment. She was so beautiful. How can she sit there with any bearing against her and make me like this? Fuse me into a puddle.

"Morning, Bella," I finally greeted her. Her hair is placed in a neat love bun, leaving a few curls out. Her fingers are tight against the glass bowl she's eating from.

"What are you doing up so early?" She questions before sucking on her spoon that had left over ice cream. I watch as her lips curl around the spoon, sucking the melted cream.

I look away from her stare, itching my faded facial hair. "I should be questioning you. Ice cream? At this hour?"

"Helps me start my day." With a shrug, she says.

A few droplets of ice cream melt off the spoon as she dips for another chunk and lands onto her chest and glides down it. I'm fisting my hands now, hiding them under the table and away from her view. She looks down at her chest, realizing her mishap.

Taking her finger, she swipes it between her breasts where the ice cream has found it's way in, and slides up her chest before licking it off her finger. It was like time had slowed down for me to watch and I bit back a gulp, tasting my own blood at how hard I was clenching my teeth together.

Her eyes then grow wide when noticing her attire and she's only in her nightgown. Her hands find her chest, and she's panicking on the inside at how wrong this was of us to be together when she's nearly naked. Anyone could come in the kitchen and we'd be obligated to wed.

"Oden, I'm terribly sorry," she apologizes when standing and picking up her now empty bowl. I stand too, causing her to look up at me.

"I should be apologizing, Bella. I crossed the line, I should've left the room when seeing you in this state. I hope this doesn't affect our friendship," I say quickly, apologizing for my misbehavior. I never wanted her to feel uncomfortable or scared to be around me.

Her shoulders slump. She softly smiles at me, growing closer to me and the only thing that's between us is that glass bowl of hers. "Of course it doesn't, Oden. I hope this doesn't make you think less of me."

"I don't think anything could make me think less of you." I was holding on by a thread. A tight, short string that was going to break if she didn't move away from my being.

One touch and it's over.

Of course we've touched before but not without her gloves on. Skin to skin would be the death of me.

"I must take my leave now," she whispers now breathless.

I don't say anything, and she's now leaving me in the kitchen and I almost reach out to touch her.

~ Third person pov ~

As days passed and days turned into nights, it was only troubling the princess of Lockwood whose son was missing. The king was missing and she could only hope to be at peace soon and her son would arrive back home.

The guards were restless not knowing of the king's whereabouts. They rounded the village and up town from top to bottom, looking for his majesty but no clue was handled.

From the princess's room, her bedroom window is wide open and she's puffing on a cigar, easing her mind from the troubles. Tears escaped her eyes, blurring her vision as she looked out to the village. The moonlight lit up the night sky, but it wasn't going to help her find her son.

A knock is present. She doesn't say anything, knowing it's such nonsense from either one of the guards or Ugene.

The door seeps open, letting light shine through the cracks. A cough is awkwardly passed through the silence. "Your majesty..."

"Yes, Ugene?" The princess sighs as she speaks.

Ugene is quite the secretive adventurer, hiding the most kept secret around the palace of all. He knows the king's whereabouts. But he wasn't going to tell. He respected his friendship with the king and his orders.

"I think you need to get some rest and we'll look for the king tomorrow." He was frightened at how he spoke to her, but he was certainly worried about her health and how long King Jaxson was going to take this.

"I won't rest until my son is found," she lets out. She's still looking out of the window, hoping that she'd somehow see him coming up to the gates. She could only hope.

"I'm sure he's safe," he assures her.

She swiftly turns. "How would you know? Do you know his whereabouts?"

"I do not, your majesty." He keeps his posture, standing like a soldier with his hand clasped behind his back.

She now stands, pointing her finger in accusation at him. She snarls. "I think you know well enough about where he's at. This is your king we're speaking of, you should be ashamed at hiding this from me."

"I assure you I do not know where he is, your highness. I'm just as restless to find him as you are. We will find him." Sweat pores down Ugene's back and he's glad that the dark black suit isn't seen through.

"I must be alone, I do not longer wish to be in your presence." She waves him off, wanting him away to hide her pain and willow in self pity.

"Yes, your highness." Ugene bows at the princess of Lockwood before retracting from the room. The door shuts behind his body, and he lets out a huff.

He could only hope that Jaxson would at least write to his mother to let her know he was alright.