Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

Ch 17: It should be illegal

"You're just going to walk right past me?" Nino asked.

Ben's brain lagged, not sure what to make of the man in front of him. Nino raised himself off his red-hot convertible. No longer in a suit, Nino wore a white scoop tank top underneath a pair of wide leg jeans and a silk floral button up. He wore a gold chain that sat on the bed of his chest hair. He let his dark hair loose and was a vision of a 1970s heartthrob.

"What? Is it too much?" Nino asked, raising his arms to present himself. He walked towards Ben, but Ben's brain was still buffering and processing the fact Nino put in so much effort for a night out with his friends. Nino gained almost no benefit by coming tonight. And yet, Nino looked so nice.

Flushed from head to toe, Ben somehow got the words out. "You're late."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"I... I didn't think you'd make it."

Nino smiled, reaching over to take Ben's hand. "I told you I would. Come on," he said, tugging Ben's arm and dragging him back to the car.

"But what about your fiancé?"

"Knox and I made an agreement." Nino opened Ben's door for him, ushering Ben inside. Ben plopped down, feeling like he was going out of his mind. We'll wait until summer ends to let his mother and Dante know we're not compatible. We're going to pretend we're seeing each other and then call it off."

"But... but why?"

"I don't want to marry Knox, and Knox doesn't want to marry someone who doesn't want him. Knox is looking for a partner. I told him I would be too selfish."

"But—" Ben said again, feeling like a broken record.

Nino took either side of Ben's face, squishing his cheeks with the utmost joy on his face. "No buts, okay? Get it through your head, these are the facts. I am no one's fiancé. I keep my promises. We're going to have fun tonight. Got it?"

Ben nodded. "Got it."

Nino's hands lingered for a moment. Ben was convinced that the man's smile had magical powers because he made all of Ben's worries disappear. Nino winked and shut his door. Hiding his face from Nino, Ben buckled his seatbelt and pretended to find something outside interesting. He didn't want to admit it, in fear of jinxing it, but Ben was already having so much fun. Leaving the apartment, Nino tore into the city at night. Ben gazed at the lights and people. Ben held his hands in his lap, fidgeting with his fingers and sneaking glances at the driver. If he was there, Ben couldn't help but focus on Nino.

There was something about his posture and driving that stood out. The way he held his face. The way his hair was being tussled in the wind. Something in the way he was just breathing beside Ben made his heart flutter.

Nino's eyes glanced to the side at Ben and smiled.

"Watch the road," Ben grumbled and pushed Nino's chin, so he'd stare ahead again.

Ben treated himself to a moment of delusion. Imagining Nino Ventura as his boyfriend, he was driving him to a double date with Lincoln. If dreams could become reality, Nino would reach over and hold his hand. He'd do that thing boyfriends do on TV shows where they kiss their partner's knuckle and smile and then get back to driving. Somehow driving despite all the horniness. Ben would simply wreck the car.

"Vampires can't read minds, right?" Ben asked.

Nino snorted. Eyes on the road, Nino just shook his head and smiled. "Do I wanna know what you're thinking?"

"No, the question is, can you?"

"No. Your thoughts are safe, Ben Robinson."

Ben turned, quietly sighing with relief. Tonight, Ben wasn't trying to embarrass himself. He came to dance, drink, and have fun. They left all their problems behind the locked apartment door. Before Ben knew it, Nino was driving up to a hotel by the club.