Toughen Up A Notch

Arnkatla makes multiple journal entries throughout this story, this will be represented by bold text (and first person of course)

Scotland is too cold for me, even atop this dreadful volcano on which I live, the cold doesn't seem to bother Taraji though so I guess it's just me. Anyhow, I'm writing in this journal not for my own pleasure but because Dragon suggested it to me and I don't really have better things to do. The day Hallbera, the evil lizard I fought with my dad was killed, Radioactive Mind told me he killed my father so I stabbed him in the eye knowing that he'd regenerate. I'm not so sure what Radioactive Mind is supposed to be, he joined us after we beat him in a fight and now he's basically our slave who can never die and when he does die, he just comes back in like one day. Anyways, when I stabbed the guy, Dragon said I shouldn't've lashed out like that and the rest is history. It's nearly midday which means that radioactive mother fucker's gonna regenerate by the time I go to bed, that's when I'll stab him again...but before I get to that, Taraji and I are gonna bring the boat closer to the village so we wont have to walk too far each time we use it from now on.

It took almost two hours for us to move the ship because of the blasted coastal winds but we did it, we docked the ship about ten minutes from the village which was as close as we could get it. The wind started to seriously kick up after we got to the village, I think that's the coldest it's ever been since I got here and still, Taraji doesn't give a damn "toughen up a notch" is what she said to me, "bitch, I'm 12" I thought to myself. If I have the guts, I'll kill another yeti and wear its fur to keep warm. I could even get Radioactive Mind to help but I'll have to do that tomorrow morning lest I get lost in the dark of night. "Arnkatla, I've roasted a fish for you" Dragon said to me, he pointed to the hut in which we lived "thanks" I said while trying my best to not sound cold, I failed. "The fire's still goin'"is what he said after noticing my shiver, well, I'm off to the hut.

Good lord that fish was nasty, it tasted like it ate rats and mice for every meal of the bloody day...I only ate the thing because there's nothing else to eat in this country, I haven't seen so much as a single blade of grass since I got here. The sun's nearly gone but I've realised that I can't kill Radioactive Mind again tonight AND kill the yeti tomorrow morning, I've gotta choose one or the other...right now, I'm leaning towards the yeti but I think I'll sleep on it, Dragon says I'm more clear minded in the morning.

Arnkatla awoke the following morning to the sound of adolescent pteranodons chirping atop the hut's shingled ceramic rooftop, their rhythmic whistles echoed throughout the mountains. Arnkatla arose to her feet from the tattered mattress of feathers and straw "goooood morning" exclaimed Star, Dragon's lover.

"Mornin'..." Arnkatla said through a yawn, she stood still, trying hard to recall what plans she had conceived the evening prior. She looked over at the paragon of magic which was nestled into a nook near the hut's entrance "come out, Radioactive Mind" she called, he emerged from the paragon with haste. "You're gonna help me kill a yeti" Arnkatla asserted, her knife held snug in its leg mounted holster, halfway up her outer thigh. "Lead the way" Radioactive Mind responded after a second of hesitation, he and Arnkatla disembarked into the village's wide gravel roads, the chilling wind bellowed as was the norm. "Hello Arnkatla" Taraji said as she walked with a slight limp towards her.

"What happened to you?" Arnkatla asked.

"I kicked my roomate, Cinders, in the mouth..." Taraji replied.

"Why?"

"He tried to get funky with me"

"What?"

"He wanted to taint my flower"

"What the hell's that s'posed to mean?"

"It means he wanted to fuck me, genius" Taraji said, Arnkatla jerked in surprise at their exchange. She wondered why Taraji hadn't healed her wound with alchemy but dared not to ask "Where to?" asked Radioactive Mind, Arnkatla pondered for a moment before uttering her response "up and over" she said, pointing to the volcano's flank.

I had no idea where I was to travel when Radioactive Mind had asked me, I only hoped the yeti wouldn't be too far from the previous we had vanquished...The spoils will be worth anything the blasted yeti can hit us with but I hope I don't get banged up too badly since I can't heal, damn this sucks.

"Y'know, if we can't find a yeti today, I could go out on my own and find one while you're back home" is what Radioactive Mind suggested to me just now, no way I'll take him up on that, I have to get this done on my own.

Arnkatla and Radioactive mind had walked for nearly twenty minutes before they came across a vast ravine, the bottom of which was far too deep to see with the naked eye. Jagged black snow covered boulders protrude near the edges and lined the cavernous walls. Arnkatla peered within, firing a laser from her alchemist's knife, illuminating the ravine's interior. "Still can't see the bottom..." she pointed out, taking a step back from the edge.

"In exactly four seconds, dive to your left" Radioactive Mind warned, Arnkatla widened her stance in preparation and began counting in her head with her eyes shut. The instant before she could execute the dive, a stocky yeti emerged from beneath the snow and threw a wind bending punch to Arnkatla's chest, sending her plummeting into the ravine. The surface grew darker as she fell through the chasm and thinking quickly, she conjured a vortex using her knife and spontaneously transported herself to the very spot she stood moments earlier. The yeti lay in strife at the feet of Radioactive Mind, its fur was green with his fuming acid, the yeti's bones and organs fizzled as they quickly dissolved into nothing. "There's hardly any fur" Arnkatla said matter of factly through chattering teeth.

"It will suffice, the yeti was big enough for you four times over...The tusks are nice too" Radioactive Mind rebutted, Arnkatla nodded slowly in an expression of agreement.

I know this first chapter didn't have anything huge going on but sit tight, it'll get juicy really soon and then, I promise you'll be entertained!