Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 15: Back to the Swing of Things

Convincing Jarrah to release her back to her pack was a task all in itself. He nagged her to let him stay with her, or at the very least keep Takoum with her. She may be protected by her wolves, but at least he could have his own peace of mind. She, of course, refused and reminded him that there had been no sightings of the assassin for the rest of the week she was there. There was still planning to be done for her wolves to get ready for their conjoined ball as well, so her pack needed their alpha for a bit.

"If anything happens you send for me," Jarrah demanded, gripping her waist tighter.

Rayne fought not to roll her eyes. "I know," she reminded him. "But the baby and I will be just fine on our own too."

"I know. But just in case you need any help or if there's another death, please tell me."

She squeezed his biceps in reassurance and slid her arms up to the back of his neck. "I will."

"And take care of yourself."

"I will," she promised again, tucking her fingers under his braid.

Takoum, who stood with his back to the two of them, shifted on his feet. The tired sigh of annoyance almost made her smile, but she knew he just wanted to get back to Irene.

"And get the wolves ready for our ball."

Rayne stood on her toes, leaned into his chest, and pressed a quick kiss to his lips. "I will."

He smiled down at her. "I know you're mocking me."

That time, she did roll her eyes. "Takoum's waiting for you, Jarrah. Now get out of here you protective oaf," she joked, pushing at his chest.

"Fine, fine," he groaned. He pressed a final kiss to her forehead and reluctantly released her. "I love you."

"I love you too. Fly safe, okay? I'll see you in a few weeks for the ball," Rayne said, ignoring the pang in her chest at the thought of being without him, even if just for a little bit.

Takoum and Jarrah's wings fluttered at their backs and the two of them took flight. He waved one more time at her, before his body blended in with the sun and she could no longer see him.

Rayne closed her eyes. For just a moment, she was enjoying the silence surrounding the land of her home. Her cottage awaited her, but she needed a moment of simply breathing in the sun with the Creator's fresh air ruffling through her curls.

Unfortunately, silence was more than hard to come by.

"Rayne," a voice murmured over her shoulder.

Rayne sighed. She wasn't in the mood to hash anything out and listen to apologies, but she supposed she didn't really have a choice. Not unless she wanted to hear her father nagging at her.

"Yes, mom?" she asked wearily.

"Can I talk to you, honey?" Nevaeh asked, hesitant. "Please?"

Rayne turned around to face her mother. She stood on the path leading up to her home with her hand caressing her arm, her shoulders curling over her chest. Dark circles hung low like crescent moons beneath her pleading eyes.

The pain in her expression softened Rayne's anger and pushed forth her hurt. But she knew she needed to hear her mother out, so she gestured to the nearby bench. The two of them walked over in silence and sat on opposite sides of the bench facing one another. Nevaeh bit her lip as if searching for the right thing to say.

Rayne beat her to it. "You know, I expected it to be dad."

Her mother frowned. "What?"

"The not supporting, the disappointment, the scolding. I mean, I knew you weren't going to be happy, but I didn't expect you to react the way you did."