How I didn't know

“You idiot!” I hiss to Twelve who steps out next to me.

                “I didn’t plan this!” he whispers back. I doubt that. I agreed to come with him and now I am going to die.

                “Take the girl, don’t hurt her.” a voice commanded.

                “And the other?”

                There is a moment’s pause before the voice speaks.

                “Kill him.”

                Twelve was telling the truth. He didn’t plan this.

                Then they come at me. I don’t have time to worry for Twelve. I just hope he can fend of himself.  I hope I can.

                There were four on me. All big and strong. I back up till the helicopter touches my back. Then I face them. I still have the knife. Twelve’s knife. They have nothing but their bare hands.

And the command not to get me hurt. But I am still outnumbered. Suddenly a punch comes at me. I swipe the air with my knife. Hoping to intercept it. Get a good hit. It catches his hand. Just by the wrist. I push down harder to finish the job.

A clean cut.

                “Ah!” he cries out. He’s left with a bloody stump that used to hold his hand. Blood. His screams. I look away.

 “Ah! My hand, Help! Man, that hurts. Ah!”

                The other three back away dubiously. They don’t stop for their ally screaming on the ground, bleeding. Clutching the bloody arm. Screaming.

                I smile at them. Although inside I’m feeling hollow. The blade of my knife is red. Dripping. My hands, stained with blood. That is not something to smile about.

                The two on either of my sides send a silent exchange that I see. They take a step at me.

                “Stop,” a voice commands. Cold.

She is tall and graceful. With the body of a dancer and the eyes of a killer. Empty eyes. Calculating eyes.

                Everybody in the circle pauses.

                All is silent. Except for the screams of the man whose hand I cut.

                Out of the corner of my eye I see Twelve, his chin up under a blade. Holding the arm of a man to prevent the knife from piercing his skin. From killing him. He also looks and watches.

                “Jack.” She says and goes up to the man demanding me captured. She smiles at him and he stutters.

                “Twelve knows Holly’s secret. Right?” her eyes slid over me and stop at Twelve. He pushed the knife from his throat and stands still. Speechless.

                “What are you?”

                She doesn’t answer.

                She goes back to addressing the man she called Jack “You can't get the answer out of Holly. With some persistence—” her eyes flashed at that word, “—you can get what you want from Twelve.”

                What’s going on? Twelve knows? Twelve doesn’t know. Nobody knows. Unless…No. impossible. She’s bluffing. Must be. He doesn’t know. Nobody knows. I keep telling this to myself over and over to make it true. But it is true. Impossible for anyone to know the truth.

                Who is she?

                “Leave Holly.” She says. “Twelve will tell you what you want to know.”

                How does she know my name? How does she know Twelve? What is going on? Why is she pleading for my case? Is she?

                Who is she?

                Twelve. Who is he?

                “Only the girl knows. I heard…”

                “Who are your sources. Because you’ve been badly mistaken.” She says. “Twelve, that man—” she points, “—he knows.”

                “You know?” Jack says. It came out as more of a question. Jack is losing his threatening demeanor. Suddenly she shows up acting superior. They must have met before. And Jack must crumble to her will every single time.

                She laughs. ”oh, and you think I care? Secrets. Answers only lead to more questions. Although, I have to admit. I am curious…” her eyes fall on me. I glare. She smiles. To her I am just a little girl. She doesn’t know how I play.

                “But I do know that Twelve knows. Don’t you Twelve?”

                Twelve swallows. He is strong and his muscles show. He can easily take her. Yet he squirms under her gaze. Something about her.

                “You see?” she says, “if anything, kill the girl.” Her eyes lock on mine. No, she is certainly not pleading my case. Why does she want me dead?

                “Ah!” I scream. My foot. The man. The one with no hand. He takes his revenge. I close my eyes shut, afraid to look down. but then I am down. he shot my leg. A small handgun with a silencer. I didn’t even notice his screams die. Now I have a bullet in my leg.

                “Kill her now,” she says. What have I done? I don’t know her. Never met.

                The one-handed man still crouched on the ground looks at me. Eyes full of hatred.

                “Don’t!” Jack screams, “We can't be sure of what Twelve knows.” He looks at the woman when he says this although he addresses everyone.

                I close my eyes. I barely feel the pain. Not yet. Now everything is just confusing. And blurry.

                “He knows enough,”

                She points her gun at me and shoots.