{Chapter 99}

Catheline's POV:

It was a short but arduous journey. In order not to get the attention of unnecessary trouble, Vincent had to take careful shortcuts and paths that led to the wheat trader's mansion.

The sky had begun to darken while we took shelter in a nearby inn and assessed our plans.

"Since you two are strangers, one of you will come along with me," Vincent mumbled, leaning on the table. "At nightfall, they might gather outside the mansion,"

"The real plan is to distract their attention," I whispered, leaning backward. "Audrey did specify a barn where produce is stored. So, Vincent will face the negotiators while I go search that area."

And I hadn't been entirely irrational. Just a few miles away was a soldier outpost. Vincent and Myke, one of the two men, would do their duties. I and Rick shall scour through the location, just in case they hid the child where they least expected.

"What if they realize that this is all a hoax?" Myke questioned, his fingers interlaced and drink untouched.

"We four can't manage the entire situation," I responded. "And hence, we would have to involve the army,"

In case of an emergency, Rick would run and report it to the soldiers who might salvage the situation.

"And remember, if I get caught-"

"Ensure that no such situation would arise," Vincent growled. He was more of a protective father than a guardian knight now. "If you get captured, everything goes to hell, child. Your husband will guarantee that,"

I didn't respond. I hoped that they wouldn't mention Xander and now I was thinking of him again. He was still miles away, not knowing of this adventure I got myself into. If anything went wrong, I...

"Nothing will happen tonight," I sighed, repeating it in my mind. "We are going to save that kid no matter what."
.................................................................

We chose our locations as the sky darkened. I had promised Karra and Lucy that I was going to be back before midnight. It was for the best if I finished the business at bay quickly enough. But first, I wanted to witness the men who were about to meditate with Vincent.

Just before, Rick had shown me the pathway to the barn. Trees were abundant around and hence, I found myself comfortable on one of them. The mansion was just in sight, facing away from the buzzing markets and inns. The pathway was clear in vision as I watched Vincent and Myke stand in front of the gates, waiting.

And then, came two men on horses. I was already sweating at that point, my heart beating painfully loud. The two men, who were supposedly the opponents began talking out loud and approaching Vincent before maintaining a gap between the two parties.

I watched them, peering through the holes of masks while studying their movements. Their cloaked bodies were moving quite swiftly. It wasn't a good time to tell that my skills were quite rusty but if you believed yourself to be weak, that's all you'll ever be.

The negotiation seemed fine until Vincent shouted, clearly angry. One of the men began laughing. I decided that the others would manage them fine on their own and climbed down the tree. Rick was near the foot, waiting for me.

"Near the entrance," I told him.

We both traveled to the large doors and unlocked them with the key we received from Lady Audrey. The lock opened with an audible clink and I entered it quietly, leaving the other man out.

When I breathed in the dusty air, I almost began coughing. The large space was filled with bags of jute, possibly filled with wheat and other related crops. They formed towers, almost reaching the arched ceiling of the building.