211. "Because I don't."

a romance short story.

"You'll love having me around one day." A high schooler went next to the boy that had been giving her mixed signals for the past few months. An on and off switch with either it's obvious that he wants her then the other he doesn't want her at all.

"Impossible, because I don't." He turned away from the shorter girl beside him. Barely shorter maybe by an inch or two. She pouted and went away. His ears and cheeks felt hot.

A few years later..

"Because I don't." He had said to the same girl in their wedding vows.

Because I don't know what I'll do without you. He thought. To him, it was harder to say how he felt in pure honesty compared to the unspoken words never told.

Decades later..

They were both now old and gray. Having lived life to the fullest and are just waiting for their time. Their children had children and they had come and gone. Living their life as they choose.
They sat in two rocking chairs looking out into sunset.

"You'll miss me when I'm gone." The girl said.

"Impossible, because I don't." He replied.
Because I won't ever have to live without you.

"Why do you always say that? You said that even when we were in our teens. It's been decades now." She said in a bothered tone. She was annoyed with his lack of words.
"No I don't." He said.

•••

He looked upon her grave been recently covered in dirt. He knew his time was soon as well. He just had to wait patiently.

...
'Because I don't know how to love someone else that isn't you.'

•••
Honestly I don't like how this turned out but this is my first short story for this book/collection so there's a first until there can be perfection.