13. Ruhaan impressing sitara

Read the important note at the end of the chapter

The morning sun cast a warm glow over the Oberoi household as the family gathered for breakfast, a heartwarming scene that excluded Akshita and Advik. Akshita, confined to bed rest, was joined by Advik for their meals in her room, cherishing these moments with their children.

"I'm done, Sitara, Ruhaan, I'm heading out for sightseeing. I'll meet you directly at the office," Kabir declared, rising from his seat.

"Yes, Dad," Ruhaan replied dutifully.

"Dad, I'll stay home to take care of bhabhi," Sitara interjected, her voice filled with sincerity.

"Okay," Kabir acknowledged, his gaze shifting to Nishtha.

"Kabir, do you have a moment? Can you wait for me and drop me to the NGO?" Nishtha asked, her eyes reflecting a mixture of hope and anticipation.

"Two minutes? I can wait for you for hours," Kabir replied, his tone laced with affection. His recent transformation was evident, a newfound happiness radiating from him, possibly stemming from the joy of being a grandfather.

Nishtha blushed at his words, Sitara looked at her dreamily, while Ruhaan stole glances from his soon-to-be ex-wife. "I can too wait for you, Sitara," he whispered under his breath, his heartache concealed behind a facade of indifference.

"Kya aap bhi?" Nishtha teased, her cheeks tinted with a rosy hue, before swiftly grabbing her handbag.

"Sitara, beta, I'm leaving. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be back after the distribution," Nishtha said, her voice carrying a motherly warmth.

"Yes, Maa," Sitara replied, offering a smile, her eyes reflecting gratitude and affection.

As Kabir and Nishtha departed, Sitara and Ruhaan found themselves alone, an uncomfortable silence settling between them. They avoided eye contact, the weight of their impending divorce hanging in the air. Ruhaan attempted to break the tension, silently consuming his breakfast. Sitara too settled on the chair and started eating her breakfast.

Suddenly, Ruhaan began to cough violently, his food caught in his throat. Concerned, Sitara rushed to his side, her hand gently rubbing his back

"Ruhaan, what's happening? Is something stuck?" Sitara's voice was laced with concern as she rushed to his side, her hand instinctively reaching out to rub his back, hoping to provide some relief.

Ruhaan, amidst his coughing fits, managed to glance at her with a hint of amusement and replied, "No," before succumbing to another bout of coughs.

Confusion etched on her face, Sitara questioned, "Then why are you coughing like this?"

With a sarcastic undertone, Ruhaan retorted, "Doing... acting..." his words interspersed with coughs

Puzzled, Sitara narrowed her eyes at him, not quite sure what to make of his strange antics. "Why?" she inquired, her bewilderment growing.

Ruhaan, now visibly irritated, quipped, "To... impress... you," his tone dripping with sarcasm, though his coughs only grew worse.

Unfazed, Sitara muttered under her breath, "You won't do anything to impress me," She swiftly grabbed a mug of water and poured it in a glass and offered it to him, urging him to drink.

He was too occupied with rubbing his chest in discomfort, but Sitara persisted, holding the glass to his lips. Their eyes met, and in that brief moment, amidst the coughs and discomfort, they shared a realization that transcended words. Pain and affection lingered in their gaze, speaking volumes without uttering a single sentence.