Cold

Jonathan Crane:
She is in my arms and the feeling burns a hole through my chest. I can't quite place it, but god i think it might be fear. Fear that i am holding the only thing i've wanted in this lifetime, holding it in my hands, and that she could be pulled away from me at any moment. Fear that I won't be able to protect her. Fear that i did this to her. I did do this to her. Her tears drench the cotton collar of my tshirt as she shakes in my hands. She lets out small sobs and instinctively (an instinct i didn't know i had)  i run my hand down her head and across her hair. Rhythmic, settling, her hair is soft and curly. I don't want her to cry but i don't want this moment to end.

And that is when i see it.

A blonde woman is smoking a cigarette on our balcony.

She's positioned herself so I can see her clearly from the bedroom. Her back is to me, but I would know her blind.

Dr. Harleen Quinzel. Infamous psychiatrist turned psycho, the woman whose position I filled after she fell for her patient, she let him and twenty other inmates out of Arkham. Her red and black leather outfit reflects the yellow street lights- cigarette in hand she turns her head. Looking over her shoulder, blonde pig tails moving ever so slightly- she smiles. She smiles in a way that lets me know why she's here. She smiles with his smile. Not her own.

Just like that, she throws her cigarette to the ground and somersaults to the balcony beside our's.

Just like that she is gone.

The pit in my stomach shatters into a tangible emptiness. I'm suddenly cold despite Raven's heat. She sits up suddenly, almost knocking the crown of her head into my chin.

"Did I hurt you?" She stammers, scampering off my lap like a scared dog.

"No, no"
I reassure her, and I reach for her again.

"I- I can't."
She decides. She stands up, her silhouette diluted by my over sized shirt, and she walks to the bathroom.

With that, I sprint to the balcony, I double check the lock (as if it matters) and realize that I am going to need to get settled here very quickly. I need to have the means to protect her. I need to find security for us.

Suddenly I hear a crash, loud enough to shake the old floor I stand on and my blood runs cold.