Chapter Thirty-Five

The car jolts as it launches over a speed bump

The car jolts as it launches over a speed bump. Owen speeds the car into the cardiology car park. I groan, the pain and uncomfortable tightness growing. The alarm of my device controller is screaming wildly. The last of the dawn light is hanging like a painting in the sky. My phone is still vibrating in my pocket. Owen screeches the car to a halt, and it lurches forward. Owen leaps out, his boots crunching on concrete as he runs around the car and opens my door. His broad form blocks out the light as he dips down before me.

"Calla! Calla stay awake, stay awake, baby." Owen's voice is coarse with fear. He twists my limp body in the seat, tugging me towards him. He looks so young when he's afraid. My fingers twist absently in his hair. He shakes his head and pulls my hand away. 

"You need to go. There are cameras, they might see you. You need to get out of here. Owen..." The words fall from my lips. They feel heavy in my mouth.

"I need to get you in there. Where do we need to go?"

My lips tighten and I shake my head.

"Calla!"

I point weakly to the glass doors, leading into a ward I know well - a place I feel like I've spent half my life. It's deserted. The early hour means there's no one lingering outside like I'm used to seeing. The building is lit up but quiet. I can see movement through the windows and doors. Owen scoops me up out of my seat, one hand under my legs and the other cradling my back. My arms wrap around his neck. Holding me tight towards him, he runs towards the doors. 

"Just leave me here! They can't see you. Don't let them see you," I cry out, my voice raw. Owen glances around the empty car park, the deserted entrance. His jaw clenches. He's breathing hard, and his grip around me tightens. 

"I can't... they might not see you in time... I can't." He closes his eyes for a moment, and when he opens them they soften as he glances down at me. 

"Owen... please... just go." He shakes his head, and I swear a sad smile tugs on his lips. Fear grips me, and turns my blood cold as I realise what he's about to do next. "No... Owen, no!"

He rushes through the automatic doors. They open too slowly, and he practically squeezes us into the room through the widening gap. He glances around at the mostly empty hall. A nurses' station is against a wall separating the waiting area from the hall. A wooden counter covered in posters where a blonde nurse with a stern expression taps rapidly on an ageing computer. I recognise her name as Hazel - I think I must know the name of every person working here.

"Hey! We need help!" Owen yells, his deep voice echoing through the room. I hear a gasp and footsteps coming from the waiting area. My parents yelp when they see us. Mum's hand going to her mouth, her watery eyes red. Dad, I realise straight away, isn't looking at me. He's staring at Owen. 

"Davey..." I can't hear the name he utters, but I don't really need to. It's all there, in his eyes and the way his mouth moves around the sound. The nurse hisses and then dashes away, down the hall, screaming for help.