6

Eva was going stir crazy, something she had never felt before. Her back felt way better. Bri and Kenzie checked it every day, and they always brought her clothes and food. Bri usually braided her hair if she asked, and the past few mornings, she had been asking.

It was late. Eva didn't enjoy sleeping. It made her feel too vulnerable.

She decided to venture out of her room. A little walk couldn't hurt, right?

Her bedroom was three doors away from the staircase that landed her right in a foyer. There was another staircase across from the one she just came down, but there was also a set of sprawling double doors. They had to be the biggest doors she had ever seen.

The doors led her to a huge living room with a connected dining room, and then came the kitchen. It was the biggest kitchen she had ever seen.

It occurred to her that the lights were on in the kitchen, but they weren't on anywhere else.

There was a man eating on a stool. He had a book open in front of him, and he didn't seem fazed by her interruption.

Had she just walked into a trap? Her whole body tensed, and she struggled to breathe. She wondered if she could slip back out without him noticing.

She turned, taking two soft steps towards the door.

"Do you need something, Eva?" the man asked, finally looking up.

Her hands shook violently, and she squeezed them closed. She only got a brief look at him before she averted her eyes.

"No, sir," she whispered.

"I'm Graham," he introduced. If she thought he was scary before, it was even worse when he stood to his full height. He stepped closer.  "How is your room? Is everything to your liking?"

She didn't know how to answer. Her lip wobbled, and she fought it back. She was going to say the wrong thing, and he was going to hurt her. She couldn't breathe. She was going to suffocate.

"It's okay, Eva," he said softly. "Would you like something to eat or drink while you're in here?"

"No, sir," she said again.

"Graham," he corrected.

"No, Graham," she repeated.

"Alright. Have fun exploring. Let me know if you need anything."

He sat back down, resuming his position with his book. Eva took that as her cue to get out of there as quickly as possible.

---

Despite her fear, Eva decided to go out exploring the following night as well. This time, she was extra cautious about making sure not to go into a room with any lights on.

The kitchen was dark, so she went back in. She loved the space. There was something about it that just felt different, like it was buzzing with energy.

Eva opened all of the cabinets and drawers, curiously peering into all of the nooks and crannies.

"Good evening, Eva," Graham greeted. "Are you looking for something in particular?"

"No, sir. I'm sorry, master- I-" she fumbled, freezing up again.

"It's Graham," he corrected again. "I was just looking for something to drink. Miles loves to drink all of my orange juice in my refrigerator upstairs."

Graham went to the fridge, pulling out a large orange bottle.

"I didn't mean to interrupt you," he said. "You can keep exploring. This is your home."

Eva stayed locked in place. It was all so strange. He had every right to hit her, to be angry with her for snooping, yet he hadn't even given her a second glance.

Was Pierce her master? Would he be the one to punish her? Maybe Graham told him everything, and they were keeping some kind of score.

"Would you like some juice?" Graham asked.

Eva was undeniably curious about what he would do to her if she said yes. She was tired of the games. She wanted him to show his true colors.

"Yes, please," she said, peeking up at his broad figure.

He reached into a cabinet, pulling out two glasses. He filled them both half way.

"Is that enough?" he asked.

"Yes, thank you," she mumbled, pulling her eyes away again.

She stayed in place, watching as he put the juice away in the meticulously organized fridge before taking his own glass and leaving the kitchen.

She took a seat on the stool to drink her juice, incredibly confused. What exactly were they waiting on? Any one of them could hurt her, but they hadn't. Were they waiting on her to heal?

Couldn't she just leave if she wanted to? The thought had never really crossed her mind before, and she felt guilty because of it. Escaping should've been her priority.

Where would she go? She remembered the drive here. Town wasn't for miles and miles. She couldn't walk that distance, and she certainly couldn't drive a car.

She glanced outside into the trees. It would be nice to go out there, get lost, forget about everything horrible that had ever happened to her.

She was walking to the door that led to the pool and outdoor patio area before she had even made up her mind.

Her bare feet touched the damp grass, and she wiggled her toes. It was cold out tonight. The wind burned her cheeks, and goosebumps covered every part of her skin.

She couldn't do it. She would get lost, and that would be a death sentence in the clothes that she was wearing.

She sobbed, letting her warm tears hit her cheeks. Isn't that what she had always wished for? For death to find her? It certainly would if she took a few more steps, but she was too weak.