The Unlikely Trio

Chapter 22

In a stone hallway near the castle gates, Riku quickly shoved the black device he was using to talk with Hinata into his pocket and turned around to face the figures approaching him. Two men came up to him, both with swords sheathed to their sides. The Horned King appointed Riku to spy on Taran's group as they searched for the cauldron. He designated two bounty hunters to accompany him so they could assist in capturing the group if they indeed found the cauldron.

One of the men was taller than Riku with long blonde hair braided down his back and one of his hands was missing. He wore chain mail under his green tunic with tan pants and a brown satchel over his shoulder. The other was about Riku's height, with short black hair and a full beard; wearing a blood red tunic and brown pants. The three of them looked at each other unsure of what to say. It seemed odd to Riku that these men would work for the Horned King, but then remembered that they probably didn't have much say on the matter.

Pointing towards the castle gates Riku broke the silence, "We should probably get moving." As he turned and began to walk away he mumbled awkwardly, "Also, I'm Riku."

The blonde man put his arm to his chest and slightly bowed, "I am Sir Bedivere."

When the other man didn't say his name, both Riku and Bedivere looked at him expectantly. The man had an annoyed scowl on his face, as if he wasn't the least bit interested in working with these two. Walking past Riku and Bedivere he grumbled, "Mordred."

Riku walked after Mordred to leave the castle gates. He felt increasingly uncomfortable being forced to work with two men he didn't know; he knew he would have to watch his back. They left the castle gates and walked along the thin path towards the forest. As they approached the forest Bedivere asked, "Do we have any leads on where they went?"

"They went to look for the pig." Riku claimed. "It can tell them where the cauldron is."

"No kidding, Princess." Mordred remarked, receiving a glare from Riku for the uncalled for nickname. "We were there when that brat did the chant. Know anything useful?"

"I know I'd like you to shut up." Riku retorted, suddenly wanting to summon Soul Eater.

"Gentlemen, please." Bedivere calmly begged them before looking at the ground in front of them. He took a few steps forward and kneeled down to get a good look at the dirt. Smiling, he noticed an array of foot prints leading further into the forest. Standing up and dusting off his hands he informed the others, "I found some fresh tracks leading in this direction. Perhaps they would be worth following?"

Mordred grunted and began to walk where Bedivere had pointed. As he past Bedivere he remarked, "At least you're more useful than that Pipsqueak."

Riku clenched his fists as anger began to rise inside him, knowing Mordred was referring to him. Bedivere simply sighed and followed after Mordred as Riku forced himself to let it go. They followed the tracks in silence when they were led to a pond. Riku gasped as he spotted Hinata's sword stuck in the mud by the edge of the water. He approached her sword and lightly ran his hand along the hilt, wondering where she could have gone.

"Well now what?" Mordred asked, throwing his hands in the air. He tired of the tracking and thirsted for a good fight.

"Patience Mordred," Bedivere advised him as he walked along the edge of the pond, looking for clues. He spotted pig tracks heading into the pond but not out of it. The same went for the human foot prints. Walking up to Hinata's sword, he placed his hand on top of it and wondered why someone would stick a good sword into the ground and then leave it there. Putting his hand to his chin he pondered aloud, "It would seem as if they fell into the water and never came back out."