more like hurricane tortilla

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK TWO

CHAPTER EIGHT.

❝ he called me aria once.❞

"YOU ARE in so much trouble," Clarisse said. 

They had just finished a ship tour they didn't want, through dark rooms overcrowded with dead sailors. In the coal bunker, the boilers and engine huffed and groaned like it would explode any minute. 

Everywhere they went, dead confederate sailors stared at them, their ghostly bearded faces shimmering over their skulls. They instantly approved of Annabeth after discovering she was from Virginia. They despised Percy and Aria as they were from New York, the soldiers muttering curses about yankees. 

Tyson was terrified of them. All through the tour, he insisted Aria hold his hand. 

Finally, they were escorted to dinner. The CSS Birmingham captain's quarters were about the size of a walk in closet, but still much bigger than any other room on board. The table was set with white linen and china. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips and dr peppers were served by skeletal crewmen. Aria didn't want to eat anything served by ghosts, but her hunger got the better of her. 

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse told them smugly. "Mr D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Nah, he wouldn't kill me. I'm definitely his favourite," Aria quipped, taking a swig from her soda.

"Really? I have literally never seen you guys talk." Percy asked. 

Aria shrugged. "He called me Aria once."

The group, including Clarisse, hummed in response. "That is actually quite impressive," the daughter of Ares praised.

Percy directed the conversation back to the ship.

"Did they give you this boat?" he asked.

"Course not. My father did."

Percy blinked in disbelief. "Ares?"

Clarisse sneered. "You think your dadd is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The caption stood behind her looking stiff and angry. His glowing green eyes fixed on Percy with a hungry stare. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we will do anything. Destroy anyone."

Clarisse smiled. "Destroy anyone. I like that."

Tyson gulped.

"Clarisse," Annabeth said. "Luke might be after the fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters-"

"Good! I'll blow him out of the water."

"We won't be able to," Aria said. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you-"