Old Wounds

"Are you sure you really want to do this?" my mom asked, holding Mia, who was sleeping on her shoulder. "You can dance anywhere. You don't need to go back there."

"Mom, there's absolutely no way those bitches are going to chase me out of the dance studio I've been at my whole life," I said, finishing my dinner and throwing the plate in the trash. "Nothing is going to stop me from living my life."

She smiled. "That's my girl. Go get 'em. I'll see you later."

I grabbed my dance bag and went out the door. Ten minutes later, I was pulling into the parking lot of Winter Sisters Dance Studio. I was nervous, but it felt so good to be back. This place was like my second home.

"Ohmygosh, Denali! Welcome back sweetheart! It's so good to see you!" said Holly, who worked behind the front desk.

"Thanks Holls," I said.

I walked over to the back room, which was a mess of dance bags and kids of all different ages putting on their shoes. I found my old spot and cubby, which was available. I took off my sweatshirt and sweatpants, then got out my ballet shoes.

"Deni, you really are back!" I looked up and saw Zoey. It felt like my insides were turning into lava. "It's so good to see you! I—"

"Wipe that stupid smirk off your face, you backstabbing whore," I said, not even looking up at her.

I suddenly blushed from the embarrassment. There were two little girls right next to me. Their mom, who was helping them get their shoes on, stared daggers at me and then moved them to the other side of the room.

"What do you want?" I asked, a little more calmly.

"I just wanted to see how you're doing. I'm glad that you're back. We were friends for all these years and—"

"And what, Chloe? You sided with Addie and the rest of the mean girls and literally just ditched me that day. And then on top of that, your bitch ass doesn't even text me for six months? Are you serious right now? Just leave me alone. I'm here to dance and get famous, and that's it. I'm not looking for friends."

"I know what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry. You know what a master manipulator Addie is! She told me she'd spread a whole bunch of rumours about me if I stayed friends with you! I-I didn't know what to do. It was either that or have my entire dance reputation destroyed."

I finally looked up at her. That goofy grin. That same goofy grin was there on her face, but there was also...something else. The was holding something: a large, bright pink gift bag with a stork on it and the big words "It's a girl!"

"What the hell is that?" I asked.

"I-I got you some stuff for Mia. I know you have everything already and I'm sure she legit doesn't need anything but I thought it was the least I can do. I-I really want you to forgive me, Deni. I was a shit friend. I wasn't there for you when I should have been. I'm sorry."

"Sorry isn't gonna take back the ruined day I had at Disneyworld."

"I know it isn't. But I'll make this up to you, I promise. I know you're still super pissed at me, but will you at least take the gift?" She handed me the bag. I took it. She knew I liked bribes. She was tricky. "I hope you like it."

"I'll open this later," I said, putting on my second ballet slipper.

I stood up just as Addie and her posse walked in. Addie had a look of disbelief on her face. It was like she'd seen a ghost. To be fair, I did feel like a ghost of my former self.

"Well well well, hey Denali! I didn't think you'd actually be back," she said. This bitch. "Wow. I didn't think you'd want to abandon your kid just so you can come here and pursue some dreams that are obviously never gonna happen."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Zoey did it for me.

"Knock it off. She can be here if she wants. She's paying your family tuition, isn't she? Last time I checked, that same tuition was paying for your private tutoring sessions because you couldn't pass the SATs," she said.

I laughed, pulling a bottle of lotion out of my dance bag. "My lotion has aloe vera in it. I think you need some."

Addie rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Since when did you go back onto her fanclub, Zo?"

"Since I came to my senses and realized that quality is better than quantity," she said.

"That's fine," Addie said, crossing her arms. "You always dragged us down anyways with your depressing stories about your brother."

Addie turned to leave the room, but as she rotated in her ballet shoes, she did a quadruple piroette. She was such a snarky little showoff.

"What's going on with Ashton?" I asked.

"He finished basic and he got deployed right away. There was some kind of explosion near the car he was riding in and he got injured really bad three weeks ago. He can't come home yet. Not until he's better."

"Holy shit, Zoey! I'm so sorry. That's insane."

"He keeps telling me he's okay and that he knew what he signed up for, but at the end of the day he's still my brother. I'm always gonna worry about him, especially when he gets hurt."

"Well, yeah. Why wouldn't you?" I asked.

"Anyway, I hope you can forgive me at some point. I know that what I did was totally wrong and I'll understand if you hate me for the rest of your life, but I miss you so much. I want to do everything I can to make it up to you," Zoey said.

I sighed. "Telling off Addie was a pretty good start."

"She really is awful. I should've listened to you," Zoey said.

"Girls, are you ready yet? You both are well-aware that I like to start on time!"

I looked up and saw Katherine, our ballet teacher. She was...not the nicest person in the world.

"Coming!" Zoey and I said in unison.

I stepped into the studio and took my place at the barre, right next to Zoey. It felt so good to be back, even if it was reopening up some of those old wounds. Maybe now they could finally heal.