l. found

chapter fifty

AFTER OCTAVIA WAS SURE GIANNI WAS GONE, the blade beneath her had subtly made its way through the restraint around one wrist

It was dire that she moved slowly. If she was caught, they'd have her dead the next second.

After a while, her next wrist was free.

Her mind was void of much as she slowly moved to free her torso.

Click.

The sound catches her attention. Her heart suddenly pounds in her chest as she looks around slowly. The red light on the camera in the corner of her room had disappeared.

The camera had been turned off.

The sound of footsteps catches her attention, next.

It didn't sound familiar.

In her time stuck in this room, she hadn't had much to listen to other than the footsteps of passersby, who were typically Peacekeepers and doctors.

Something was different now.

Octavia feels encouraged to move quickly. She releases herself from the shackles and jumps out of the bed. Her legs wobble at the weight of her body that they hadn't held up in a long time.

She scrambles to the wall where the door was, setting her back against it and arming herself with the small scalpel. She tilted her head upward to try to breathe as quietly as possible.

A door across the hall opened. She heard shuffling and hushed whispers. The footsteps approached her door.

When her door opened, Octavia breathed in deeply. A body collided with her instantly, knocking her to the ground. Riddled with fear, Octavia wields the small blade against the large body in front of her.

"Octavia Cirillo. We're from District Thirteen. We're here to rescue you."

She didn't know if it was real. It could be a trap. It could be anything.

She attempted to lunge toward the man, using the tiny scalpel to lead her. He effortlessly stopped her, grabbing the blade and pulling her off of her feet.

Her weak body could not fight as he took her.

The men pushed her gently yet urgently out of the room that she'd been confined in for so long.