Chapter 68

Chan and I showered, dressed, and planned for what we'd say to our parents

Chan and I showered, dressed, and planned for what we'd say to our parents. The prep didn't matter, though, because when I picked up my phone to check it, all hell broke loose.

Ella, how could you do this? my mom had texted.

You didn't invite me? Mana had asked.

Your mother is very upset. How could you have gotten married without telling us? my dad had messaged.

Shit.

"Chan, we need to call my family now!" I called out. He returned from the bathroom with a hoodie on, and I showed him the texts. I guess I knew why his phone had been buzzing so much earlier.

"Fuck. Okay. Should I change?" he asked.

"No time," I had already begun FaceTiming, and Chan sat down beside me.

"Ella! Ella, how could y'all do this?" my mom cried out the second she answered. My dad was beside her, trying to console her.

"Mom we didn't..."

"We've kept quiet about all of this so far, but not invitin' us to your wedding?" she bawled.

"We're not..." I began again.

"You're our only child, Ella," my dad scolded.

"We're not married," I finally spoke over them before they could accuse me any further.

"What?" my mom asked. "We saw the photos."

"It was just a white dress. We're not married," I explained.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Young," Chan waved awkwardly beside me.

"Is that him?" they asked. I nodded and panned the camera so that Chan could be in the frame.

"It's nice to meet you," he smiled politely. His hand fidgeted nervously with the hem of my shirt where it met my waist.

"So you're not married?" they asked as though they still couldn't believe it.

"No, ma'am. However, we do have some news to share," Chan began.

"Ella, are you pregnant?" my dad asked. My heart sank a little because I still wished I were.

"No, not pregnant, dad," I told him awkwardly. I held my hand up for them to see the ring. "We're engaged," I said happily. My mom clapped her hands together in delight.

"Well I'll be damned," my dad said in shock. "Someone finally caught your eye, Ella."

"She caught mine too, sir," Chan answered sweetly, kissing my cheek.

"You two are just so cute," my mom blubbered. "She's been waitin' a long time to meet somebody," she cried.

"Mom," I laughed. "Why are you crying?"