○ Chapter 03 ○

It was a mundane day at the office. Just how I liked it. Everybody minding their own business while I could scour my brain for some mind boggling ideas for my first ever story. Working as an Accounts Assistant wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Or maybe I was biased because I really loved this field. That, and my senior, Jessica, was just very helpful and nice.

I couldn't remember what got me into this sudden interest of writing but something told me that everything in this world was worth writing. Even if that meant some numbers from the accounts.

My brain was churning various scenarios from the world of fantasy as I busied myself with filing all the bills and vouchers by their dates. It was going all well until someone tapped me on my shoulder.

I looked up to see Ryan giving me a full blown smile. He was cute, possibly the only cute, young and single dude in my office.

I returned his smile, but I was pretty sure it came out a bit shy.

“You not coming for lunch?” He asked.

I quizzically glanced at my computer screen to see that it was almost 2 O’clock. “Oh! I didn't even see the time.”

“Then you must really love your work,” he joked, laughing softly.

This time my heart managed to skip a beat. Not only was Ryan cute, but he also happened to be my crush. Ever since I started working here a year ago, it was him and Jessica who made me feel like I was at home. So, it was a given that I leaned on them more.

“Jess didn't come today?” Ryan asked as we walked toward the cafeteria.

“Nope. She messaged me that she's feeling under the weather,” I answered. “I thought you knew.”

Ryan gave out a chuckle. “My department lives in a dark corner, works in a dark corner and stays in a dark corner… well, most of the time,” he said. Looking at my horrified expression, he quickly continued, “Don't worry, I was just kidding. It was a really busy day today.”

I just laughed as we entered the cafeteria. Ryan was in the purchase department, also labeled as the coolest department of our company. And he was also known as the best in his work, which made me respect him even more because never once did he let it show through. He was always so humble and I could count on him to help me out when it came to work related problems.

Taking our trays, we sat down on a table next to the floor to ceiling glass window, overlooking the busy street outside.

I awkwardly ate the soggy pasta, not knowing what to say because it was usually Jessica who helped flow the conversation between us. Thankfully, he must have sensed it too because he put all his attention on eating his lunch as well.

The hall was bustling with silent conversations as it was a really peaceful day. Well, it was… until I jinxed it because the very next minute, the cafeteria doors burst open as if for some grand entry. And grand entry it was, for in came the same handsome guy accompanied by our boss, Sasha Bones.

Ms. Bones was in her mid fifties but she never let the age come in the way of her business or career. It was like she was born to hold her own empire of imports and exports business. Most of the time, she was found only inside her office room so it came as a surprise to see her interrupting her employees’ lunch.

Everyone was astonished to see their boss but I was even more so to see the handsome guy. Not because he was so good looking, but because he was holding my shoe. The one and only that I had thrown out the window at a stranger.

Did that mean he was that stranger? I could feel my whole body going up in flames. I couldn't tell if I was mortified, or would be caught red handed, angry because it was also his fault, or - or - I couldn't even understand what I was feeling at that moment.