Chapter One

I place the last box in my car. If I was being honest, I was beyond ecstatic to be going home. Back to the ranch where I felt I truly belonged. I'd been itching for a reason to go back for about a year now. Now it was finally time. I can finally go home.

I slide into the driver's seat of my car, closing the door behind me. I'll admit, circumstances could be better, but I'm going home. I twist the key in the ignition, hearing the engine roar to life.

I put the car in Drive and started on the long trip back to Wyoming.

***

I didn't realize how nervous I was until I was driving down the long road that led to the house I grew up in. My stomach was twisted with knots, my heart was racing. The large, black, metal gates with our last name on it were open.

I glance out of the window to the fields on either side of me. One filled with cows, the other with horses. I also noticed the occasional goat grazing alongside them. I turn my eyes back in front of me, the house coming into view.

It was just as breathtaking as ever with a wrap-around porch where rocking chairs and a porch swing sat. It was two stories tall, smoke was billowing out of the chimney. Most of the curtains were open, letting me catch glimpses into the house that probably hasn't changed.

I park my car, killing the engine before stepping out. I heard the barking before I saw the dogs running up to greet me.

"Hey, Milo." I rubbed the animal's head as he jumped up to me.

At the sound of the storm door snapping shut, I look over. Dad was walking down the stairs toward me.

He looked good considering what he's going through.

I moved to meet him.

"Dad, you should be resting," I told him.

"I can rest when I'm dead. My baby girl's home." Dad pulled me into a hug, squeezing me tight. "Oh, Carter, I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, Dad."

Dad pulled back, setting his hands on my shoulders. "Look at you. So grown up."

"Dad–" I began.

"But," Dad continued, "you're still my little girl."

"How is everything?" I asked, glancing around. It seemed peaceful, quiet.

"It's good. I got some new help a year ago."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah, you can meet him later. First, let's get you settled." Dad walked toward my car, grabbing a box.

***

After bringing the few boxes I had up to my old room, I drop down onto the bed. My room was just the way I left it. Light blue walls, one which was covered in posters and pictures. A desk in the corner by the window. A dresser opposite of that. My music collection on a bookshelf that also held a few books.

It was home.

I stand up, walking downstairs, hand on the railing. As I reached the front door, it swung open. Dad walked in.

"I was just looking for you," I smiled. "I was about to start dinner. Any specific suggestions?"

"No, pumpkin, it doesn't matter, but set out another plate for tonight. We're having a guest." Dad patted my arm as he walked into the kitchen.

"Who is it?" I asked, following.

"Just one of the guys who work here." Dad waved a hand, filling a glass with water. "Arlen. I hired him about nine months ago. Very hard worker. He's the drifting kind though."