Part 3 - a watchful eye

Time skip to around 1:00 (lunch)
•••
I'd been set the task by Dr Crane to sort different files of new patients. Over the two years I'd been working here, the arrival of patients had slowly increased - meaning more files for me to sort. I sorted the last few papers into their pile and relaxed my body against the chair I sat upon. I'd been sat in a dimly lit office room all morning and longed to escape this dungeon-like building. I looked up at the clock that sat on the grey wall in front of me and it pinged for 1 o'clock.
Lunch. Finally.
Opening the door to escape what felt like a cell, felt incredibly refreshing. Switching off the light and closing the door behind me, I wandered off to the coworker room to find Poppy and complain about the drastic paperwork I'd had to do. I heard a familiar footstep and looked up to see Dr Crane walking down the corridor opposite me. He was already staring at me. A small smile crept on my face but his did not change - he simply turned the corner and walked in the opposite direction to me.

Many people who worked here and who had spoken to him, said he was a cold, emotionless, man that thought he was better than all of his workers. I chose not to believe these rumours. When I first started working at the asylum, the Dr had been kind enough to show me round and give me the basic run through of what I needed to do. I was told he hadn't done that with anyone else. Just me.
I'd come to the conclusion that he'd treated me that way simply because I'd treated him the same - with kindness. However, I hadn't spoken to him properly since - only the occasional discussion of work. I was still determined to befriend him though. Just to prove those who judged him were wrong. I was determined to be like this with most, to only believe harsh rumours if I had seen them myself. I believe most people must have good in them.
I think it's my biggest weakness.