7. Just For Three Days

|

"I didn't want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you good night — and there's a lot of difference."

FOR NOW

The floor in the corridor creaked as Avyanna headed to the bedroom. Everything was still and dark in the Manor, the household readying for sleep, and she had sometimes thought that stillness revealed, and the darkness suddenly felt forbidding.

She picked up her gown and run the rest of the way, the train of her gown flowing gently behind her as she did.

Alistair had been standing at the table in their bedroom, an assortment of books and maps spread out in front of him, and he looked up as Avyanna came in.

There was a fire alive in the fireplace. Little flames flickered over the abyss of darkness in the room. Little sparks danced in the polished curves of the hand-carved furniture, creating shadows on the very expensive brocade.

He furrowed his brow, seeing her flushed face, she was slightly breathless. "Is everything alright?"

Avyanna closed the door and stood motionless for only an instant, she saw his expression as if he were reading her thoughts and telling her she had nothing to be afraid of.

"Yes... I run up."

He was half dressed and in uniform which surprised her, his shirt was still open, and his body was skin and muscle flowing over bones and nerves. "I didn't think you'd last that long over there." Said Alistair.

"They were extremely welcoming." She went to him, and she gave him a kiss hello. His lips touched hers gently, and she felt the usual flutter and stirring inside her.

His hand was flat against her back, he held her closer and longer. There was only her. Only Avyanna. Their kiss was slow and sensual, it was deep and full of wanting.

"And how was it?" He asked, letting her go.

She smiled, feeling a little breathless, "It was... pleasant. Or rather they were pleasant."

"Good. Now your social life is cemented in their circle." His voice held a hint of sarcasm.

She dropped her cloak on the back of a chair, "I'm not a very social person, so it wouldn't have mattered either way."

"Maybe, but eventually you would have gotten tired of only Aunt Emma and me for company."

Avyanna laughed more to herself than to him, "I don't think so."

He tilted his head, looking at her, "Did you write anything I can read?" There was laughter in his tone.

"No, the writing never came up."

Alistair chuckled faintly, "No, it wouldn't." He watched her face for a moment, seeing that she suddenly looked thoughtful, "What is it?"

She swallowed nervously, the firelight reflecting in her blue eyes, "Well, it's private, I suppose."

Alistair waited; his mouth twitched as he suppressed a laugh. "Alright, so don't tell me."

She went on, "It's just that... one of the ladies... I can't say which one because it's - "

" – because it's private." Alistair humored her.

" - yes, she wrote a letter to your brother. To Will. If you'll pass it on to him please."

She hadn't planned on involving Alistair, certainly not wanting to betray Ivy's confidence, but Avyanna never saw Will and she would not dare to go to look for him in his part of the Manor. She only knew that he came and went, but since the wedding she hadn't quite seen him again.