Episode 3b

[Eerie music]

Jordan (narrating): Welcome to "Where is Araminta Green?" where I, Jordan Thompson, investigate the disappearance of my classmate and neighbor. Two years ago, I was the last person to see Araminta, and the mystery of her whereabouts just won't leave my mind. In this second installment of the third episode, I'm... following an old lady, who may be a witch, into her cottage for tea.

[Witchy laughter]

Jordan (narrating): Yeah, I know... I may be about to be turned into a pig or something. This feels like a cut scene from Spirited Away—which does make me wonder if Araminta was a Studio Ghibli fan... I mean, her cat is called Kiki, just like a certain witch with a delivery service. But, regardless, I can't back down now. I've come too far. I've already tumbled down the rabbit hole at this point, finding myself in Wonderland.

[Cat meows]

Jordan: I guess if you say it's alright to go in, Kiki, then I should trust your judgment.

Jordan (narrating): Kiki waits for me by the gate while the lady has already gone ahead up the stairs. Her corgi, Cyril, sits on the step, wagging his tail in excitement about seeing new people.

Old lady (voice coming from further away): Are you coming, boy? I'll get out the nice china for your sake. And the crispiest ginger snaps.

Jordan: I'll be right there!

Jordan (narrating): With Kiki by my side, I walk through the blossoming garden and up the stairs. Cyril doesn't approach but stays in his spot, allowing us to enter. I take the opportunity to give the good boy a quick head pat.

[Dog barks happily]

Jordan (narrating): I don't know what I expected from the interior of the cottage, but whatever I expected, it's more than that. And I mean literally more, as the content of several cottages seems to be crammed into this one. Overflowing bookshelves line every wall, sprinkled with a thin layer of dust. The beams in the ceiling seem to bend inward, weighted down by a burden of dried flowers and herbs. On tables, chairs, and every other available surface are knick-knacks of all kinds: porcelain figures, pine cones stuck together into artwork, and half-finished embroidery. It's not really messy, as except for the dust sprinklings the place is clean, but it's certainly cluttered.

[Clatter from things being moved]

Jordan (narrating): I displace some books off a chair to be able to sit down. Kiki places herself atop a folded-up quilt in a corner, which almost seems made to be a cat bed. She's soon rolled up into a ball, lost in peaceful slumber. I wonder if that may have been her usual sleeping spot when she visited with Araminta.

Old Lady: Here you go, son. It's my own brew; rose petals and chamomile.

[Clatter from porcelain]

[Liquid being poured]

Jordan: Thank you. It looks delicious.

Jordan (narrating): The tea is light pink and has a floral fragrance coming from it, reminding me of perfume. Next to the teapot is a platter filled with intricately shaped ginger snaps, each one bearing a geometric pattern more complicated than the next. Thin layers of frosting complete the masterpieces, making them appear as if covered in spider webs. I hold one up to the light, admiring the craft in awe.

Old lady: [Snickers] They're for eating, not just looking at. Have one. I certainly will!

[Cookie crumbles]

Jordan (narrating): As she takes a bite, I dare to do so as well. The spiciness from the cookie is washed away by the delightfully mellow tea. Hopefully, neither is laced with witchcraft poison.