5

At noon in the Mackenzie cafeteria, Drake found his dark-haired roommate lined up at the steam tables. It was hard to miss Zain's startled-hedgehog hairstyle.

"Deep-fried sponge in red syrup is not Chinese food." Zain scowled as the lunch lady doled out heaps of fried rice.

"If you don't like the food, why ask to meet me here?"

"Spoilers."

Drake picked up a tray. "It smells good."

"But it's false advertising."

June light streamed in through the wall of glass facing the lake, warming Drake's face. Students sat in plastic chairs eating burgers, fries, burritos, and pizza. "It's a cafeteria serving cafeteria food."

"The sign says Chinese." Zain pointed to steam trays of deep-fried chicken balls, egg rolls, and fried rice. "There aren't enough vegetables to garnish a plate."

With her head down, the server dished Zain's food as quickly as possible.

"Where's the Moo Shu pork? Where's the Beijing Duck?"

"In China, so unless you have a plane ticket ..."

"I will once I'm a big Hollywood director."

Drake smiled at the server. "Fried rice, please." He was hungry, and Zain was starting to steam his vegetables. His friend insisted they stay in residence all summer to work on a movie, but so far Zain had turned down every actor Drake suggested.

On the way to a table, Zain froze. "Finally. That's the perfect girl," he whispered.

An athletic beauty lined up at the omelet station. Freckles sprinkled her flawless brown complexion, and gold gloss shimmered on her lips.

"We must get her before they make her the next Bond girl."

"Grace? She reminds me of Kat Graham."

"As in Bonnie Bennett? Wait! You admit to watching Vampire Diaries? Not cool, Drake. Think of your reputation."

"What reputation?"

"Purveyor of high-test horror and classy things that go bump in the night."

"That's you. I'm in it for the cinematography."

Grace glanced their way, and Zain darted behind Drake. "Ahh! She saw me."

She regarded them with clear green eyes.

Drake stepped forward, gesturing toward Zain. "Excuse my friend. He never leaves the editing suite."

"Er, hi?" Zain's voice quavered.

When she turned back to the omelet station, Zain whispered, "Grace is perfect. Willowy but muscular enough to outrun the monster."

"Can she act?" Drake asked.

"Don't you remember? We saw her in the campus production of A Christmas Carol."

Drake nodded. A cap and nightgown had hidden her braids and curves, but her expressive face had shone through. "I loved her Scrooge. What a transformation!"

"When she saw Morley's ghost, her scream was perfect. Help me?"

Zain offered him a pleading look, and Drake knew how much this movie meant to his friend.

Drake joined Grace at the omelet station. "I'm Drake, and this is Zain. Do you have a sec?"

She shrugged at the line in front of her. "I'm Grace."

Zain puffed out his chest. "We know. So, are you busy this weekend?"

Wide-eyed, Grace looked from Zain back to Drake. "You both want a date?"

"We saw you in A Christmas Carol," said Zain. "You. Were. Breathtaking."

"Thanks."

"Christmas puts me in the mood for horror." Zain grinned.

"What?"

"Except you should have gone with a beard. What kind of Scrooge doesn't have a beard?"

Grace sighed theatrically. "I asked for a beard, but the director refused."

Zain smiled back. "Wanna star in our film?"

She made a face. "What kind of film?"

"We're still writing the ..." Zain looked at Drake.

"The best horror movie ever. Cabin in the Woods meets Blair Witch Project."

Zain put on a cheesy Transylvanian accent. "Join us. Ve vant to make you famous!"

"A vampire movie?" Grace raised an eyebrow. "That won't get me into Juilliard."

"Better. A summer vacation scream fest," said Zain. The line edged forward. "An artist friend is building a monster. Once you see it, you'll beg to star in this film."

"Do I get paid?" Grace's turn came, so she ordered at the counter.

"Even better." Zain trailed after her. "We'll make you a celebrity."

"Or make me look like a fool." She took her food to the cashier.

Drake fell in beside her. "You'll share the profits."

"As in one third of nothing equals nothing?" She tried to look annoyed, but her eyes lingered on Drake's face.

"As in 20% of a movie so awesome they'll distribute it everywhere equals your big break." Zain smiled tightly.

Grace took a meal card out of her purse. "I don't know. I'm busy with school and auditions."

Zain's face fell.

"Relax," Drake whispered to Zain. "I got this." He handed the cashier his card. "The project is worth thinking about." He nudged Grace's arm. "Let me buy you lunch?"

-----------

Thanks for reading. Watch for an update next Wednesday.

Don't forget to vote. :)

And for those who want to read ahead, find me on Ream. (Get free early access to Double Dead Magic for free without ads).

Ream: https://reamstories.com/maaja