-Seven-

"...Bet the Queen wouldn't last five minutes in battle," the person to my right cackled, his grasp on my arm firm and unyielding. He wore a long cloak that shrouded his features, as did the one to my left. Their relentless squawking had contradicted the mystery that made others seem to fear the two.

"Can you shut your traps for three seconds?" I snapped, and their hysterical laughter only grew. They led me down dark, winding corridors, the black walls disfigured by spikes sticking from the sides. On these broken fragments sat crowns and jewels, stone statues posing underneath them.

"Ruler of Beasts," King of the Monstrum faction, a plaque beneath the sculpture proclaimed, the words inscribed in dark rock. On his arm perched a majestic bird, and at his side, a juvenile dragon. It was an impressive display, and I wondered why such a thing would be stored in the castle of the Shadow King.

"You like the statues, aye? Bet you're curious, huh," the man on the left spoke, his voice rougher than his comrade. "They're people the King helped slay. That guy was a rough one, wasn't he, Gareth?"

"Idiot, you're not supposed to tell 'er my name!" Gareth, the one with the squeakier sound whined, reaching across me to slap his associate. I groaned, wondering why I hadn't simply stayed in the prison cell. But we were drawing near to the end of the hallway, and our journey was soon to be put to an end.

Large doors made entirely out of silver and obsidian awaited me at the end of the corridor, a portrait of something made from the glistening gray. I didn't have the time to figure out what the eccentric image was entailing, as the doors swung open and revealed a room of incredible size.

Spikes sat on every corner of the chamber, the ceiling stretching to incredible heights that seemed almost impossible. Crimson carpet wrapped around the floor, swirls of gold adorning it. Almost everything was painted black, the only thing illuminating the area being blazing torches, eerily casting light upon the imposing pronged seat.

Soldiers were stationed in a perfect form, surrounding the ceremonial chair, their hands raised as they saluted to the one who sat on the throne. Heavy, shining armor engulfed their body, a helmet covering their features. Shadow King, I assumed as the servants beside me dropped to their knees in respect. I had yet to bow, not yet fully acceptant of my new leader.

His laugh resounded throughout the room, dwindling away and echoing around me. The sound sent a chill down my spine, raising the hair on the back of my neck.

"You must be the child who disregards authority. Clearly you live up to your name," he called, though his voice was far different than what I had anticipated. It was almost artificial, as if something was interfering with his true sound, a slight crackle accompanying his words.

"And you must be the notorious king keen on destruction," I retorted, resting a hand on my hip. Before I could predict what was happening, a dagger was thrown, skimming my cheek and breaking through a layer of skin before lodging itself in the wall mere inches away from my skull. I could help but gulp back fear.

"I understand your rebellious spirit, however your arrogance is quite unadmirable. Should you continue to act in such a manner, I'm afraid I'll have to resort to a rather violent discipline." I nodded my head, but anxiety didn't seem to grip me as it normally would. I had nothing to lose and no one to run to when this was finished.

"May I ask," I began, as if a blade hadn't just been thrown at me, "Who are you? Because this facade you attempt to maintain displays the fact that you're hiding something. What is it?"

"Your ignorance is insufferable, yet I believe that somehow, you'll grow on me. You wish to know who I am?" he replied in that crackling, deep voice. I nodded. "So be it," he chuckled.