2.9

Sejanus didn't go to school that day. She looked for him after she had her meeting with Dr. Gaul. Liville didn't see him at all until she got home.

And then, when she did see him, when she spotted him in the garden through her bedroom window, she...didn't go to him.

Because Liville didn't want to be in his company. Because hearing Coriolanus talk to her at school about how disrespectful and cruel and uncaring Sejanus had been with his actions last night, she realized she still felt bitter towards him.

So she requested dinner upstairs, hiding away as long as she could.

But she knew that eventually, he would come to her.

And he did. Sejanus came knocking at her door as soon as his parents fell asleep. Part of her wondered why it took him until then.

Liville forced her feet to the bedroom door, hesitating as her hand touched the handle.

She knew she'd have to talk to him eventually. She took a deep breath and opened the door partway, enough for her face to be visible, but not enough for him to feel welcomed in.

Because he wasn't. Not right now.

Sejanus assessed the fact that Liville was already in her pajamas, and probably ready for bed. She looked tired.

"...Hi," he started, slowly. "Do you have a...moment to talk?"

Liville stayed where she was in the doorway. "Is there something you need?"

"Just that. Just to talk."

She shifted awkwardly where she stood. "Okay," she barely breathed. "Out here."

She saw how he looked down the hallway, and it was clear that the idea of speaking in the hall embarrassed him. "My parents have gone to bed, may I come in for just a moment?"

She slowly shook her head. "...I don't think that's a good idea."

"Liville," he breathed. "You have to believe that I am so sorry for what happened-"

"I know," she whispered.

He winced at the fact she'd cut him off. "I don't know how to fix this," he said with regret. "I'm so sorry. Please-Tell me what I can do to make things right between us."

"You don't have to do anything. We're okay," she told him. "You're forgiven."

"But-" He pulled back, obviously not convinced. "Liville, can I please come in?"

"I am very tired," she told him. "I did not get enough sleep last night."

Again, his face showed such regret. Obviously, she didn't get enough sleep. He was the one to awaken her last night with yelling and arguments.

"...I tried to fix your paper," he whispered with desperation. "Did you find it? I put it under your door."

"Yes. Thank you."

Her simple answers were driving a knife into his heart. He burst out, "I swear to you, nothing like that will ever happen again. I-I don't know what came over me. I swear I've never lost my temper in that way before."

A soft nod. "It's alright-"

"It's not alright," he said pitifully. "You're hurt."

"I will heal."

"But-" He inhaled with a sharp breath. His expression was nothing short of utter despair. "Liville, I do not want you to have to heal. I don't want you to be hurt ever. I-I want you to be safe." He tapped on his chest. "I wanted to be able to keep you safe."