Chapter One- Welcome to Camp Jasper Wood

CHAPTER ONE

Welcome to Camp Jasper Wood

The mountain road is proving itself to be endless. I've been driving straight ahead until I feel like I could reach the top. However, Camp Jasper Wood sits in the middle of the mountains. It's in the perfect spot with a view of the lake. That is what the brochure says at least.

"In one mile, turn right onto Camp Jasper Wood road," The robotic voice from my phone commands me.

The wave of stress finally calms as I am fully aware that I am going in the right direction. I grip the steering wheel a little tighter, so the mountain still knows I am in control. The radio goes static so I know we must be close to the camp. However, I worry the voice on my phone doesn't know where we are and sending me to a dead zone with no service or way to get back home. I am tempted to turn back now and never see Camp Jasper Wood.

My best friend, Hanna Cooper, has her head resting against the window. Her sunglasses are covering her eyes. Her sharp nose is sticking up in the air. Her expression is blank but she still looks distinguished and even more stunning.

I reach for the dial to make the radio stop making the horrific scratching noises. All stations are out except the country music station. Hanna frowns, turning off the weary cries of the country singer's voice.

"I was listening to that," I joke, starting to smile.

She laughs, twisting her blond locks in her fingers, "No you weren't!" Neither of us like country music, and never have. The songs all sound the same, and are all about the same subjects: love, drinking, or heartbreak.

Her bright eyes shift back to the window. She concentrates on the view of the mountains, probably filling her brains with more important things like if there are going to be any cute counselors this summer. Our conversation has been minimal as my brain has been crammed with distractions.

I also feel a little guilty considering that I am the one who forced her to come to Camp Jasper Wood with me.

The Jasper Reporter thought it would be interesting to write a fun piece about the longest-running businesses in Jasper Wood. Camp Jasper Wood opened in the late 70s, which makes it a local summer tradition for the youth of North Carolina.

I thought spending my summer alone, buried in research, sounded dreadful. So, I forced Hanna, as well as Zack, to be buried with me.

There wasn't much they could argue. It was a free vacation, a paid job as a camp counselor, and a chance to get away for a while. A free vacation is something we could all use, including Hanna who is airtight. I worry she will explode.

"Are you excited?" I interrupted the silence. The car seems smaller the longer we've been on the road. The crammed space makes my voice sounds stuffy.

Hanna's head moves up at my voice, "I'm excited to be out of this car." Her tone is a mix of tired and annoyed. Her eyes are still fixed on her surroundings as she keeps studying the trees.

"I know you and Zack didn't want to do this, but I promise you it will be fun," I shouldn't be promising anything, especially when I have never been to Camp Jasper Wood before.

"I know it will be slightly fun, but you know how I am with kids? Especially teenagers." Her face has turned sour. She was right. Teenagers were a different breed, especially these days. They sit on their phones, silently judging you for your haircut or the way you wear your clothes.

"Well, we're college students now and the ages range from 13 to 17. Either way, I don't think summer camp kids are out to get us," I try my best to make myself sound believable. I have this lie I keep telling myself that the best kind of teenagers are the ones that go to summer camp for fun. The bad kids stay home and annoy their own families. Of course, I don't know if that's even true.