Chapter 5 - Hurt

The loud silence rings in my ears, causing me to go quiet. I'm fine with this, I lie to myself. Setting all of the things I've gathered on an abandoned faded red car, I examine and make sure I didn't forget anything. Beans, check. Pasta, check. Magazines, check. Honey, che- Crash! I jump, startled, at a loud clashing sound coming from behind me. Maybe it could be a raccoon...stepping over my backpack, I walk over to the side of the building, carelessly. Tip ... .tap...tip...tip..tap- Is it just me, or does it feel like i'm in a book? Just then, I hear a mild, but quite loud scamper. "What are you doing?!" I call out angrily, realizing I'm partly asking myself. Focus. Stepping even closer to the side of the building, I wearily look over to the next car.

Thud! My feet hit the dark asphalt ground with a thud, startling me. Crash! I dart over behind my car and wait, proceeding with caution. "Please just be a racoon. Please," I whisper silently. Should just get it over with, already. And I jump up and stomp my way over to the can, eagerly. See, there's nothing to- Bang! Shocked, I flinched and then started searching my pockets for a weapon. There's none. The creature looms behind the can, trying not to be seen. Where- oh no- i have to have- and my hand catches an object. I thrust my hand up to my face, hoping for something to help me. Its a- its a its a- leaf. It's a leaf. From my occid plant. For you, it might seem useless, but, for me, it's so much more. Leaping through the cars in the lot, I try not to startle the flower. It must've heard me, because I hear a clatter from where I'm heading. I'm sorry, but I can't just let you run free- it's too dangerous. Finally skipping through the last row of cars, I stayed quiet as a leaf. No pun intended. I add, still joking around with my life in danger.

My heart beats rapidly, still not bearing to slow down. Just be a bit more quiet. The afternoon sun shines on the cars, distracting the flowers. Hopefully I add. "Don't move.." I whisper, hoping it listens but doesn't hear me. And i run, jumping onto the monster, holding it down. "Screeeeeechk! Clash!" trash falls beside us trapping it even more. Agh! A deep red stain covers my lower leg. I'm so sorry- ugh! For what i did to you.. Trapping its neck between my grasp, i try to choke it out. I know its my fault- please- crushing the leaves into its chest regretfully, i look into its sad eyes. They shine, no pupils, all white. But i can still see it. I did this to you, and now im hurting you even more. "Screeckh! " It screams wearily in pain. Just get it over with, I tell myself. And I retract my hands from its cold throat, staring at what I've done. I can try to say that it was for protection, I plead but it was my fault in the first place. And I finally breathe. So much for not crying, I comment. Sulking back to my original spot, I breathe out a sigh of both relief, and melancholy.