prologue

ACT 1

★・・・★・・・★・・・★

★・・・★・・・★・・・★

"Thank you."

"Thank you."

"Thanks."

"Alright, I'm going to test you two on the plans in random order," a boy said. "We never know which one we'll need and when, and it's vital we can communicate quickly and clearly in as few words as possible."

"Good start. It took you about thirty words to explain what you're about to do," a girl quipped, her hand on her rapier.

"Don't be facetious, Lucy. We really don't have time. Now, what's plan C?"

"Plan C means whoever isn't in combat makes a defensive circle. Plan E means you and Lucy fight the visitor, I deal with the source. Plan D is the other way around. Plan B is salt bombs. Plan A is lavender water, and Plan F is Greek fire, which should only be used indoors under carefully controlled circumstances," a girl repeated, standing in-between the two teenagers.

"Then out of ten," the boy congratulated.

"There were only six," replied the girl.

"Damn. I'll have to think of another four," he smiled, giving her a wink.

"Thought there wasn't any time to be facetious," Lucy butted in, putting an arm around her sister. "Well," he checked his watch. "We are slightly ahead of schedule." A crow was cawing in the background, and the group arrived at the townhome. "Are you sure this is the right address?" Lucy questioned. "62 Sheen Road. Mrs. Hope." The boy rang the doorbell, "Quarter to six on the dot." Knocking on the door, a shadow ran past. "Ah. Here she comes." Fixing his tie, the boy put on a crooked smile. "Luce, are you sure this is a good idea?" whispered the girl. "It'll be fine, Elara," Lucy replied, looking at her sister.

"Are you from the agency?" spoke a voice behind the three teenagers. They all turned around, surprised to see an elderly woman standing before them. "Mrs. Hope?" asked the boy, "I'm Anthony Lockwood. These are my colleagues, Lucy and Elara Carlyle. We've come about your problem. Care to show us inside?" He requested.

"Oh no, I won't set foot in there. Not since my husband passed. Not since... how he passed." The three nodded and looked down at their shoes, then looked back up at the woman. "The disturbances have been very persistent. I.. I'm going to sell it, but it needs fixing first." "That is exactly what we do," cut in the boy. "Locate the visitor, contain the source." Lucy smiled. "A safe space means a satisfied customer," quipped Elara.

"Shouldn't you have a supervisor? I.. I thought an adult had to be present at an investigation." Mrs. Hope pondered. "Strictly speaking, the law states that an adult's only required if operatives are undergoing training. But we don't find it necessary," Lockwood expressed. "To be honest, adults are pretty useless," muttered Elara. Lockwood looked over at her and raised an eyebrow, "'Cause of their lack of sensitivity," Lucy butted in. "They just get in the way," Elara finished.