Chapter 7 - Forest of the Dead

Glass crunched under her boots as Lir slowly stood up and gently pushed Cian's weight away

Glass crunched under her boots as Lir slowly stood up and gently pushed Cian's weight away. The fox quickly stood up again. He vigilantly let his eyes wander over Lir and ensured everything was right with her. She briefly nodded and told him he didn't need to worry.

"What was that?" she asked quietly, already looking around. Through the glazed tree trunks, bushes, and other fake plants, any threat should have been seen immediately; after all, she and Cian were also easy to recognize. Her companion, with his black fur coat and dark hair, stood out even more than Rabin in her white plumage. She narrowed her eyes and tried to spot something or someone, for neither doubted that the falcon had turned to glass by itself. But... there was nothing. But... there was nothing.

Meanwhile, Cian examined the dead animal before him with skillful, precise movements.

"As if it had simply been turned to glass..."

"Shh!" Lir interrupted him, her watchful eyes suddenly catching on something. Cian immediately fell silent and already had his hand on the spear shaft.

The white woman narrowed her golden eyes. There was something... but she couldn't explain it or find the words. It stood out from the uniformity of the glittering, sparkling glass. Just a touch darker, a shimmer here, a strange, altered reflection that didn't fit in with the rest of the picture.

"What is that?" she whispered to Cian, who now seemed to have discovered the strange surface. Lir wanted to break cover to take a closer look, but Cian suddenly held her back. His fingers closed firmly and decisively around her upper arm, holding the curious raven in place.

"Wait." No sooner had he said it than the glass shattered.

Lir froze in mid-motion. She saw a stalk of glass shatter, and then the branches of a shimmering shrub broke and shattered, sparkling in the dull sunlight. A sea of glittering shards joined the crunching stalks, which were now pressed into an ever-widening trail—and that trail was coming straight for them.

Alarmed, Cian jumped up and pulled Lir with her.

Whatever it was, she had spotted it long ago, and no doubt this something was responsible for freezing the falcon and everything in this place to glass.