Chapter 9 | Snacks and stolen moments

I let out a giggle as umma told me her latest stories

"And then there was this one woman who couldn't stop dancing at the bar! It was so much fun, I almost thought she'd jump on the table," her brown hair swished in front of the camera, laughter bubbling out.

"I miss you, umma," I sighed, pressing my nose to the screen as though I would feel her.

"I know, baby," her eyes grew soft. "Christmas, this season. Time will fly before then. How are your appointments going? How is Anya and...your new friend, Kaynath?"

"It was good mom, I was wondering if I should do laser treatment to get some body hair off, the facial hair more so?"

Her eyebrows scrunched and I wanted to reach out and smoothen them and tell her not to worry so much. But in truth, I couldn't be happier. I remembered Anya and Kaynath fighting the other day over me and it sounded so terrible like I was a piece of prize to be won.

"-you'll figure it out. How's your thing going with Kaynath?"

I had zoned out for a moment. "Kaynath?"

"Mmmhmm," she hummed positively and had a mischievous smile light up her face.

"I don't know, umma," I sighed a little. "It's just a silly crush."

"Interesting." It looked like she wanted to say more, but held herself back. I suppose I should probably solve the thing between us, but I wasn't feeling it at all. I needed a little space. Knowing Kaynath, I knew I would get plenty of it but I also needed someone to vent. Unfortunately the person I wanted to vent to was also the same person I was annoyed with.

Anya. Oh Anya.

"You seem lost, Kunji," her lips turned downward. She had used the nickname since I was a kid, meaning little.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Just a little misunderstanding between us. I was thinking about it."

Someone called for my mom, yelling Shireen and she looked around wildly. "I have to go now, Kunji, but I love you, yeah? Tell me if you need anything."

"Love you too, mom."

She gave a little wave before hanging up but not before I heard a dubious knock on the door.

I kept aside my phone and shuffled around. Could be them or anyone else. I took an off day though it was only Wednesday.

I went to the kitchen to peek and saw it was Anya. I could ignore her or see what she had to say. I couldn't decide so I stood there for some time until something moved and I saw her turn around.

I saw her walk away and switched on the television until I saw something slide her stick something to the door and slide something under the door.

I was curious now. She was relentless, and I felt my lips turn up, forgetting our scuffle.