Aadil's Prologue

"How dare you!" Dad screams at Mom. He's really getting mad now. "No, how dare you!" Mom retorts back and I laugh. Yeah, it's not a situation for me to laugh but my coping mechanism is humor, and honestly, it's the only thing keeping me sane from whatever is going on in my house.

Life wasn't always like this, but since the past few months my parents have been like ticking time bombs and I need to walk on eggshells around them. They've been fighting constantly and I have no idea why. It's gotten so bad since recently that they've been sleeping in separate rooms.

Their screaming gets quieter and just when I think that they're screaming match is over the sound of glass breaking echoes through the house and then I hear a door slam shut. I wonder who left this time.

Mom and Dad weren't always like this. Dad was always so chill and mom wasn't the confrontational type. They never really fought but now it's a daily saga. Their marriage used to be uncomplicated; now it looks like the word isn't even part of their dictionary.

They were never overly lovey dovey but they always loved each other. They were each other's backbones, each other's shelter in the rain. It feels like I'm living with people who look like them, and talk like them, but aren't like them.

Dad walks into the room with an awkward smile on his face. He's trying to stay strong for me. "Aadu we're planning to send you to Kerala. There's a boarding school in Kochi. Me and your mom have enrolled you in it. Your flight is at nine today" He relays.

Leaving home seems way better. It's probably better for my parents too. It'll give them space to let everything out, no bars barred with me out of the house.

"Yeah fine," I answer and after a few seconds of awkward silence he nods and walks out. The fight was between them but it was staining our relationship as well.

╰──╮・ꕥ・╭──╯

Mom had come home an hour before dinner and as a tribute to my last night in this house for a while we had a family dinner. Awkward would be an understatement to describe the whole scene. None of us talked. Just ate quietly. I didn't have anything to say and neither did they. I can't even believe that this is what my family dynamic has come to.

After dinner, I grabbed my bags and Dad drove me to the airport. It's better that they both didn't come if not they could risk fighting in the middle of the road while returning home and trust me, it's happened before while I was present, in my absence, it could be way worse.

╰──╮・ꕥ・╭──╯

It was a very short flight to Kochi and my thoughts were enough to keep me busy. It was pretty dark - but not as dark as my life. I know it wasn't the time for a pun but I couldn't help it. I really need to work on my coping mechanisms. The bus stood outside the airport, its blue logo unmissable. It felt captivating and maybe this was a sign of peace that the great lord Ram was sending in. Let's hope my intuition was right.