~ Blanket ~

Heyy! Thanks for being here :) 

This chapter (and all the next) takes place one night after Aiden's death, let's pretend they weren't been abducted to that weird "swan" institution (who knows wtf this place is lol) For clarity I'll write thoughts in italics.

Please leave the comments! And this is my first fanfic so have mercy ^^

~~~~~~~~~~

Midnight was slowly approaching and all the friends were sleeping in Ashlyn's room, like the night before. Their parents were talking in the living room, their quiet voices coming from downstairs. 

Ashlyn listened to the calm breathing of her sleeping friends, anxious thoughts raced through her head. Will our plan work? Will we be free from that dimension? Is Aiden okay? Is he turning into a Phantom...? 

The last two questions was worse than the rest, making her stomach churn. And these questions had been bothering her all last day.

Ashlyn tossed her long, untied hair to the side and turned her head to glance at Aiden sleeping on her left. Her heart sank when she realized he wasn't there. She raised herself on elbow to make sure her eyes weren't deceiving her because of the darkness, but they weren't. 

He probably sneaked out of the room quietly so as not to wake anyone up - she thought, as she slipped out of her night bag. 

She had to make sure. 

Ashlyn left her room quietly and looked into the room next door - it was empty. She checked the bathroom and her parents' bedroom, but Aiden wasn't there either. 

Why am I worried? - she thought, annoyed. It's not that I care about him or I like him so much... What the heck am I even thinking about?! 

Anyway, she tiptoed downstairs and peered into the living room. Only parents was sitting at the table and drinking coffee. 

"Dad, haven't you seen Aiden?" she asked, entering the living room. 

"No, what's up?"

"Maybe nothing, but he's not in my room, so I came to check if he was here and is he okay", Ashlyn flushed, as she realised how it sounded.

Her dad raised an eyebrow, glancing at her mum, so Ashlyn added quickly: "You know, as a leader, I kinda have to..." 

"He'll be okay, Trooper. Don't worry." dad gave her a smile. "Anyway, nothing worse could happen to him than in Phantom dimension, right?'' 

She sighed. "Right, thanks, dad."

"Well, go to sleep now. There's still half an hour until midnight."

"Maybe he was thirsty and went to the kitchen to get some water...?'' she whispered to herself when she left the living room. I guess I overthink it, he must be fine. But when the clock strikes twelwe... I'll beat his ass. 

Ashlyn smirked at this thought, climbing the stairs when a muffled sound reached her ears. The girl turned around and her eyes fell straight on the slightly open front door. she immediately went down the stairs and opened the door wider. Her heartbeat sped up.

"Aiden?" she whispered, looking at the boy sitting on the porch steps. "Found you."

He turned to her and the smile spread across his face.

"Hey, Ash. Were you looking for me?"

,,Yeah, I came to check if you're still alive", she shivered from the cold. "What are you doing here? It's half past twelwe, you should get some rest."

"I can't sleep", he turned away. Ashlyn raised her eyes to the sky, and looked at the full moon. Then she glanced at Aiden staring at the darkness. 

"What's up?"

"Huh? Oh, nothing. It's just stress, as usual."

"Aren't you cold here?", the girl shivered again. 

"No...?" Aiden looked at her questioningly. "Yet I have a blanket." 

He did have a blanket, her favourite, red with polka dots - and Ashlyn wondered how she hadn't noticed. She hesitated for a moment, then closed the door and sat down next to him. 

"Gimme some", she murmured, grabbing the corner of the blanket. Aiden shared with her, startled. 

"Hey, don't take it all!" he protested, moving closer to her, and she wrapped her half of the blanket around herself as tightly as possible. 

God, we are so close to each other... but... he's is so warm.

"Aren't you scared?" she thought about Aiden covered in blood, lying beneath the ruins, pushing other silly thoughts away. "I mean, we don't know what may happen to us this night".

"Ya know, I kinda died last night, didn't I?" 

He smiled at her and Ashlyn couldn't tell if he was joking or not. 

"I guess... I can't deny." 

"How about you?"

"What?"

"Aren't you afraid?"

"Well, it would be strange if I wasn't afraid", she mumbled. "Our plans often go awry, your and Tyler's death only confirms that. The fact that you have been given a second life doesn't guarantee you a third."

"That's... shit, that's actually a good point." he looked at her. His eyes glowed red in the dark and it occurred to Ashlyn that maybe he was wearing contacts.

He is so close! He crossed the boundary of your personal space!!! - her mind started to screaming. 

She quickly looked down at her feet - green socks with a small hole in the right one. She had to ask about one thing that was bothering her since last night. 

"Aiden... can I ask you something?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Tysm for reading! Hope you liked it ❤ 

Next part tomorrow :)