XXVII. Proper

( ACT II. ── Uncertain Waters )
chapter twenty-seven / Proper

✷        ·
  ˚ * .
     *   * ⋆   .
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

MESSAGES
( lyndon + annika )

LYNDON M.
Good morning Annika. I spent a long time on the phone with the team last night, trying to work out the problems that have been caused by Brendan Caballero. After much deliberation, we decided on a proper replacement for me while I'm on leave. Leah Killarney has spent the past few years with Mercedes a performance strategist, but she has the right experience for this job, and I suggested her personally, as I believe she is an extremely intelligent young woman and knows how to keep a level head. In part I blame myself for the disaster that was Brendan, as I did not voice my concerns when they informed me that he would be replacing me, so for that I apologize. I hope I've managed, in some way, to rectify the situation, or at least give you some stability to stand on while you try to recover what has been lost. There is no question now that I will certainly NOT be extending my medical leave, and will be returning to you as soon as I am able to travel. Until then, I can only wish you luck. I've given you what I can, and Leah will, too. Make it count.
- Lyndon

✷        ·
  ˚ * .
     *   * ⋆   .
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

Their first stolen moment of the week came early on race day, so early that most of the crowd had yet to show up, the paddock held only a scattered group here and there, Greta was still asleep at the hotel (to be brought to the track by Teddy later on), and the photographers were not yet in full force. That was how Lando was able to slip into Annika's driver room without being seen by anyone at all.

She greeted him with an excited embrace, his nose pressed into the side of her neck. He was still in his pedestrian clothes. She was only half-dressed, her fireproof shirt on but still wearing jeans, her hair unbraided. "Hi," she said, and kissed his cheek sweetly.

"Hi." After her kiss he followed her briefly for a moment as she pulled away, clearly seeking something more, but Annika offered nothing else.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, not able to forget that he had managed to qualify P2. After such a streak of bad luck this year, he deserved as much.

"Nervous. Distracted." He replied.

Annika absentmindedly started unbuckling her belt. "Distracted?"